Chapter 2

THUD! CRACK! SMASH! Both James and Meowth had landed on a tree branch. They sighed, thinking they had an okay landing, then the branch snapped and they crashed onto the ground. They two groaned on the soft forest floor. Slowly, but surly, they sat up and rubbed their heads and rear ends.

"Dat is da last time we are gettin a regular net, Jimmy." moaned Meowth as he shook dirt off of himself. James turned toward his feline friend and growled, "I didn't buy that cheap net, Jessie did!" After he said this, James covered himself with his arms and shrunk to the ground again, afraid that Jessie was about to hit him for criticizing her for ruining another plan... But no fist bonked him on the head, no giant hammer slammed down on his skull, and no paper fan smacked him across the face.

"Hey, where is Jessie anyways?" pondered James, getting up and looking around. All he could see was trees, bushes, more trees, and a river that had strange gurgling sounds coming from it. "James, do youse hear dat?" Meowth asked nervously as he looked over toward the rushing river. Coming from it were loud splashing noises and what sounded like an anguished call for help.

   "Come on, Meowth! I think that's Jessie in the river!" shouted James and dashed towards the river in hopes of finding his friend. "Right behind ya!" exclaimed Meowth, who tried to catch up with James despite his very short legs.

   James sprinted through the forest, jumping over logs and bushes and dodging trees. Meowth was close behind having a bit of trouble maneuvering around the forestry. At one point, James tripped over a rock and cringed as a searing pain went through his left foot, but he couldn't worry about that now; Jessie could be in danger!

   They reached the river and frantically looked around to see if they could spot a woman with oddly shaped magenta hair. Nothing. James and Meowth continued to jog down the river bank. Things were a bit slower because of James's hurt foot, but that didn't matter to him at all. If Jessie was hurt, or worse, he wouldn't know what to do with himself.

   Suddenly, they heard the same cry for help coming from the water. "Help please! James! Meowth! Save me!" In a flash, James and Meowth instantly knew who was in trouble; Jessie!

   "Hold on, Jess, we're coming!" yelled James to Jessie. She tried to look up but the water kept pulling her down. The current was much too strong. With every passing second, the water was pulling Jessie further and further away.

   James and Meowth gained speed to keep up with Jessie. James tried to find a way to jump in the water and go after her, but there were rocks everywhere and he knew he wouldn't be able to make it to her without getting himself swept away as well. All of a sudden, Meowth gasped and tugged on James's shirt.

   "Hey, uh, Jimmy? Have youse evah seen a movie where da person flowin down a river came across a waterfall?" shouted Meowth over the loud water. "Meowth, I don't care about that right now!" yelled James. "We have to save Jess-" He was cut off when he saw a devastating scene. Jessie was lying on her back,  unconscious, and what should she be floating towards? A big, most likely long, probably has sharp rocks at the bottom, waterfall!

   "No! Jessie!" yelled James and jumped into the water, paddling as hard as he could. Meowth stayed on the bank, knowing he couldn't swim that hard. "I know what I'll do!" exclaimed Meowth. He ran away from the river and through the forest. "I'll get some help!"

   Meanwhile, the waterfall was getting closer and closer towards Jessie and James. He knew that his life and Jessie's depended on reaching Jessie and getting them to shore. At this thought, James mustered up all the strength he had left and swam toward the unconscious Jessie.

   He grasped her foot and pulled her towards him. He tried to swim away but he as locked in place, unable to move because the current was so strong at this point. The waterfall was nearing towards them and James knew that he wasn't going to be able to get to land. He shut his eyes tight and felt himself going over the waterfall, not knowing what was at the bottom, or if they would survive.