Chapter 5

Tears rolled down Jessie's cheek. She was sitting inside the balloon, hugging her knees. "How could he say something like that...?" she muttered to herself. "If only he knew how I felt..."

   Jessie realized her feelings for James  when he returned to her and Meowth from his dreadful mansion. Jessie and Meowth thought that he would stay and get married to his fiancé, Jessebelle. As they walked away, James showed up in the balloon and he grabbed Jessie's hand and pulled her up. Jessie said that they didn't have a lot of money, but that had they're freedom. They shook hands and looked into each other's eyes. Right then, Jessie knew that James was more than a friend to her.

   "I don't know how to feel about him anymore..." she whispered and cried some more.

   "Jessie? Hey, Jess? Where are you? I want to talk." James was calling out to her. He probably wanted to apologize to her for his response to her question. Jessie wanted to jump out of the balloon and rush into his arms, forgive him for what he said, and stay right there. But it wasn't that easy. Jessie was too stubborn to seem upset. James and Meowth knew she wasn't like that. But she wanted to forgive him so badly. So Jessie mustered up the courage to go talk to James. She wiped her eyes and stepped out of the balloon.

   "Oh hello James. Come to tell me how I'm a wonderful work partner and nothing else?" said Jessie snootily. "Wait that's not what I meant!" she corrected herself in her mind. James blushed and looked down. "I didn't mean that, Jessie." said James quietly. He was still looking at the ground, unable to bring himself to look into Jessie's eyes. "Pull yourself together James. Just apologize to her." he said in his head.

   "You are much more than a work partner, Jessie. You are my best friend. And I'd do anything to help you out in any way." said James courageously. He took Jessie's hands and stared her right in the eyes. She looked back at him. "J-James, I-"

   "Team Rocket!" exclaimed a raspy voice. Jessie and James looked towards the sudden disturbance and saw the three twerps. "What are you two doing here?" yelled the girl twerp. James took his hands away from Jessie's. "What are you doing here, you little twerps!" James started to walk towards the kids, but Jessie placed a hand on his shoulder.

   "James, is it really worth it now?" she asked. James looked back at Jessie. "What do you mean? Pikachu is right there! We can capture it!" Jessie just shook her head. "We don't even have a plan." she chuckled and pulled him back towards her.

   "What in da world is goin on here?" Meowth had come back from the river bank to see Jessie and James holding hands and the twerps standing a few feet away. "Twerps!" he exclaimed. He glanced over to his colleagues to find them looking into each other's eyes.

   "Uh, hello? Pikachu is right dere youse guys!" he shouted at the duo. They continued to look at each other. "Hey guys, I think we should bail. We'll find another spot to camp out." said the tallest twerp. The three kids left the clearing with only Jessie, James, and Meowth.

   "James, I forgive you for what you said earlier. I know you didn't mean it. And you're my best friend too." Jessie said, still holding on to James's hands. She stepped closer to him and James turned red all over. To his surprise, Jessie was blushing a bit as well.

   "I'm glad you forgive me, Jess. Double trouble?" said James, chuckling. Jessie giggled back and put her arms around his waist for a hug. James's eyes shot up, but he brought his arms around her too. They stood in the clearing, hugging, as the setting sun cast an auburn glow over them. All was peaceful.

   Meowth looked at the two humans and chuckled. "One day at a time." he said to himself.