Aversion

Aversion ; Uh-ver-shun
An aversion to having a picture taken
---
When I was five I found a way to understand animals, dogs mostly. My mom and dad always found it amusing at how well I could bark, howl and whine. In fact, I started barking before I could walk or talk.
There was one day where, as usual, I was crawling around minding my own business, a loud thump came from above and I realised the next door neighbours cat had snuck it. Instinctively I started barking at it and leaping up, snapping my jaws, the cat hissed as I pushed it over. Thinking it had enough it lashed out at me, a quick swipe that almost blinded me. I was rushed straight to hospital, I didn't loose my sight, I only had four claw marks circling my eye. That day was traumatising for me, and I have learnt not to approach cats. You could call it a phobia, but I'd rather an aversion.
My mother died in a car crash when I was three, I don't really remember much of it, my father acted distant and careless and that's how I learnt to care for myself. Over the years he grew more irritable, grumpy and angry. But, I guess I'm used to it by now.
---
I waited and waited for the last bell to ring, my fingers moulded a piece of Blu-Tack into a small jackal. I smiled to myself, smoothing the edges. My best friend, Jemma Curnow, lent over my shoulder and took the canine from my hand, "Cool..!" She rotated it with her fingers and looked at it from different angles, I shrugged, "Yeah, I guess.."
The bell rang, I stuffed the jackal in my pocket and raced out of the classroom, hair flying behind me. Jemma followed me out, "What's the rush?" She grabbed her bag as I grabbed mine, "Dunno, don't wanna run into.." Jemma nodded, the school bully, Axel Cudly, was waiting for me. I'd tripped him over accidentally and now, well..
I checked around and raced out of school into a small alley, looking behind for Jemma. She, of course, was right behind me.
Crash!
I fell back, winded as Jemma gasped, "Leave her alone!" She shouted, I looked up, still dazed from the fall to see a familiar smirk. I growled, almost animal-like, Axel widened his eyes but stood his ground. I stood up as her towered over both of us, "Well, well, well.. who do we have here?" He grinned and advanced on us. Jemma looked around nervously as I frowned slightly, "Who should we start with.." Axel looked towards Jemma and stepped towards her, "Go away you inhuman creature!" I shouted, through gritted teeth.
He turned and narrowed his eyes, Axel grunted. Suddenly he socked me in the stomach, I doubled over and groaned, Jemma gasped as he turned around to her.
All of a sudden I felt a pain searing through my body, my arms lengthened and fur started growing. I looked around, still dazed. What's happening, why am I growing fur?!?
I panicked and remembered about Axel, I leapt up with a power I never knew I had. With a loud thump, I landed on him, snarling and snapping my jaws. "What?!" He leapt in surprise and shoved me off roughly, I landed on my arm on the concrete, "Ughnn.." I groaned as he kicked me into Jemma's feet, she clapped her hands together to make a giant thunderstorm above us. I leapt again, dodging his blows and clamping my jaws onto his arm, what am I, why do I have giant teeth? Why does Jemma have weather powers?! I but deep into his arm and started foaming around the edges of my jaws, I leapt off, growling. He fled, leaving rivulets of blood behind him and a howling me.
I morphed suddenly back into a human and glanced around, a shaken Jemma looked at me like I was the weirdest thing ever, "Y-you did t-th-that? Y-you're an a-animal!" She shrieked, I looked at her bewildered. "Wait, I do magic too. Watch.." she lifted her hand and a giant rain cloud soaked me, "Sorry, I don't have control over it much.." she smiled sheepishly as I tried in vain to dry myself, "But, that's not magic. It's r-real.." I stammered, "How come I'm different! And what did I change into?" I asked, mildly curious. "It looked like a type of canine, like a wolf but smaller.." she answered softly, I looked at my watch.

A/N: I think it's long enough, if you want more please ask me. 556 words.. Bye~

free ; e. connor [discontinued]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें