The Tribe

I followed the apes as Caesar rode on horseback with two of his friends. One was an orangutan and the other was a gorilla.

Guess their close friends

I found myself standing in from of a huge waterfall that cascaded down to a river.

So beautiful...

I was in awe for a moment when I saw a few apes lower down the dead bodies of their comrades and some mourned at the loss.

I watched as the bodies were swept away from the current and I sent my own silent prayer.

An ape suddenly gave a high pitched scream and everyone raised their bows in defense. Caesar snapped his eyes on me as he slowly walked up front.

Two apes on horseback were seen and the one on the left jumped down and ran up to Caesar "Father!" The ape signed as Caesar and the ape hugged one another.

My eyes widen, that's Blue Eyes?! Man he's gotten old.

Blue Eyes scanned everyone with happy smiles and gestures and he sent a curious look on my way. Can't blame him though.

Caesar led his son up on a high place behind the waterfall and I was forced to follow them.

I was at awe when I was surrounded by an entire family of apes. Females along with their children greeted their mates and old comrades too.

A female with a baby ape slowly walked to Caesar and he held her close to him and Blue Eyes. I guess that was Cornelia.

"Mother" Blue Eyes greeted and Cornelia could not contain her happiness. Caesar gestured Blue Eyes over to Cornelius and I wanted to smile as the brothers held hands.

Cornelia's gaze went to me and I held my breath when she inspected me. Every ape in the vicinity went silent as she undid the ropes and I rubbed my wrists, feeling the blood circulating.

"Thank you" I signed and the apes gave a series of confused noises. The orangutan came to me and signed "My name is Maurice, you know how to sign?" I nodded as the others gave me curious glances now and then.

Blue Eyes gestured to the center of their home and I knew a meeting was about to commence.

***

I sat beside two female ape women who were kind enough to let me sit with them.

"I apologize if this is making you uncomfortable" I signed to them but they merely smiled when one of them asked "May I braid your hair?" My jaws would have dropped but I held them close as I gave her my back so she could start.

The baby apes looked at me with awe and curiosity when a renal baby ape signed "you look so pretty"

I lowered my head in embarrassment. No on has ever called me pretty since I usually see myself as an average girl.

I felt her hands disappear and I turned to look at the females to thank her when she signed "She is right... You are pretty"

All of a sudden, Caesar fisted both of his hands and connected them together and raised it up on the air.

"Apes...together...strong..."

Every ape followed the act and u was about to follow when I stopped.

Get it together Kira, you're not one of them. I'm not even suppose to be here.

I lowered my gaze when the woman beside me signed "You do not follow?" I smiled weakly "I am not...one of you"

They said nothing and so did I.

***

Nightfall came as the entire colony ate fruits and meat that were being brought back and I was just waiting if it was time for me to eat.

Maurice handed me a banana and an apple and I gave him my thanks and ate. Caesar casted occasional glances but I didn't dwell on it since I was too busy eating my meal.

Soon after it was time to sleep. Caesar and his family went to their alcove to sleep and Maurice was kind enough to give me a bed for me to sleep.

"Thank you" I signed and he smiled "Sleep well, Kira"

***

I was tossing and turning in my bed but I still could not find sleep. Why? I have a bad feeling.

I stood up and decided to take a walk around the place since sleep was not yet on my part.

I felt movement and I grew alert. I saw a human enter the alcove of Caesar's family and my blood ran cold. I stumbled up and saw Blue Eyes already awake but Caesar was not there.

Blue Eyes pounced on the man and beat him to death but he did not know the danger behind him.

I couldn't move. My feet was firmly planted on the ground so I did the only thing I could do.

I screamed.