Bad Ape

The snow fell softly on us as I stared at the cloudy sky. Caesar raised up his hands in halt as we stopped when I saw the entire army stopped.

We dismounted our horses and his behind a few rocks "why did they stop?" Rocket asked.

"I don't know..." Caesar spoke. I squinted my eyes and vaguely saw three humans being taken up front but it could have been my imagination.

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

I tensed when three shots rang out "what are they shooting at?" Luca asked. The army started to move but we made no indication of leaving as they sped away.

We slowly rode towards the place they stopped and to my horror, three bodies, with blood on the snow, were buried on a thin layer of snow.

Rocket hesitantly took one of the masks off and I turned sickly green. Luca followed the act when the man whom he had taken the mask off began to breath deeply.

We jerked back as the man wheezed in pain. I noticed that both of them had blood on their noses and I could assume the third one has too.

Caesar knelt down "why did they shoot you?" He asked. The man opened his mouth but all I could hear was him gasping out the words.

"He cannot speak...like them" Maurice signed, gesturing to both me and Nova. We both blinked and stared blankly at the man.

"He will die with these wounds" Maurice signed. Caesar looked at us and gestured them to make us turn around and I knew what he was going to do.

BANG!

***

Caesar and the rest of the apes climbed up on a signal tower while Nova and I were forced to wait.

She played with her white doll which I found quite adorable when I asked "thirsty?" I gestured to my throat and she seemed to be getting it and nodded.

I dismounted my horse and went to my bag to look for my almost half empty water bottle while Nova continued playing.

Neither she nor I noticed a figure slowly creeping towards us and holding a knife. Good enough to kill two human girls.

Caesar's POV

I watched at the vast land of the snow covered forest while Luca gave out the coordinates of the base and how long it will take.

My thoughts went back to the human girl, Kira and her question before.

"Caesar, I'm human not ape. No one would know if I am in league with you. Since when did you care if I die anyway?"

She was right, when did I care if she died anyway?

The thought of those three soldiers on the snow came into my mind and Kira's face came into my mind.

The thought of her dead sent an angry and possessive chill on my spine and it reminded me when I first met my Cornelia.

The thought of her sent a pang through my heart but her death along with my son slowly started healing, thanks to my youngest son and Kira.

"NO!"

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Luca scream and saw a figure about to stab an oblivious Kira behind.

I felt an enraged snarl as the figure pushed a stunned Kira and the frightened white haired girl Kira named her as Nova jerked back in shock.

The figure took Kira's horse and sped away as I jumped down and didn't waste a second thought by scooping up a bewildered Kira on my horse and I raced after the figure with her in my arms and the others followed behind.

Kira's POV

I think I really need to stop first and let my brain process what the heck exactly happened a few seconds ago.

One, I was almost killed without me knowing it (curse my lack of awareness)

Two, Luca saved my life and at the same time scared the shit out of me and Nova.

Three, the hooded guy pushed me on the ground and stole my horse.

Four, I or rather we are chasing the guy now and Caesar is holding me.

I think there is something wrong with this scene.

Ah yes...

Caesar is bloody holding me and we are riding together!!!!

Shit, if Cornelia were here I think she would actually show me the actual dominance of a female ape alpha.

I shook my head, focus on the chase first Kira THEN worry about this later.

I tightened my grip on him so as for me not to fall on a running horse and end up being sent early to my grave or end up receiving a bloody head.

Was it just me or did Caesar tightened his hold on me?

Oh wake up Kira! You're probably just dreaming!

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I saw my horse running back to us with no sign of the hooded figure.

We arrived at an old, abandoned mansion and its structure alone sent a chill to my spine.

Caesar went down and gestured to Maurice "stay here and keep them safe" his eyes lingered to me before he went in.

***

Minutes passed and I was getting impatient "that's it, I'm going in!" I slid down on Caesar's horse.

"I'll go first!" Maurice said as he went in. I followed soon after Nova went in.

I watched in awe as I saw the entire place. It looked like a place for rich people!

What happened here?

My eyes went to Caesar, Luca an Rocket that were huddled in a corner and to my relief, none of them were hurt.

I saw a chimpanzee speaking in broken English an I found out his name the humans would call him was Bad Ape.

When he saw us, he quickly removed his coat which triggered the apes to raised their guns.

"Cold!" He spoke. He pointed to Nova who was shivering slightly and it was then did I noticed the cold I began to shiver as well.

Caesar looked at me as Bad Ape gave his coat to Nova and began to look for another coat for me to wear.

***

Night came and we decided to settle for the night. I listened as Bad Ape told us about the apes that were sent off to zoos only for them to be killed when the virus began to spread.

I watched in amusement as he tried to keep Nova from getting a metallic figure with the label Nova engraved.

"Can you take us to their base?" Caesar asked and Bad Ape kept on repeating "No! No! Bad humans! Stay!"

I guess he has a terrible experience with us humans as well.