3: Just a Dream

Percy PoV: 

I woke up in my bed, drenched in my sweat, mumbling, “No, Annabeth, no…” I couldn’t just sit here; I had to see if she was fine. I could never tell between a simple nightmare and a real one. Because sometimes demigods’ dreams show us what is actually the past, present, or future. I quickly got dressed and went up on the deck. I saw her figure standing staring at the open sea. I go up to her silently and wrap my hands around her waist. I feel her body tense up, and then I whisper in her ear, “It’s ok. Just your seaweed brain here.” Her body relaxes as she lets out a sigh of relief.

“Why did you do sneak up to me like that? Do you know how scary that is? How much I’ve been worrying? I…” she starts but I cut her off.

“It’s okay. Calm down, Annabeth it’s ok, it’ll be fine! What happened to the Annabeth that I knew? Wait… did you just say scary? The great Annabeth thinks that I’m scary?” I say, a smile on my face. Then I see the tears that are sliding down her cheeks.

Annabeth’s PoV:

I don’t know what came over me but suddenly the realization of everything came down on me, Gaea waking up, along with all those monsters from Tartarus, and the Roman and Greek camps were probably going to fight to the death…again…

“You just don’t get it! You were gone for eight months Percy!! Do you know how much I worried about you? I thought you were dead! Aphrodite herself said that it nearly killed my soul! And then I find you and what happens? We fall into Tartarus! I save my mom’s precious statue and she can’t come to help me from falling into hell!” I heard my voice rising. “When we get out all that the Gods’ can tell us is: Yeah you fell into Tartarus whatever, now go and put our grandma back to sleep!!” I shouted. I let Percy wrap his arms around me in a warm hug as I sob into his shoulder. All that time pretending to be the leader when in fact I was dying inside, seeing him again, then the stupid quest from my mom, then we fall into Tartarus, and now Gaea. All of that suddenly fell upon me, and all I could do was cry and cry. I felt like I was holding the weight of the sky again. Still I was happy that Percy was here to comfort me.

“Shhh… It’s okay. I’m here. We’re together. We’re alive. It’s going to be okay,” he says to me.

“How do you know?”

“I just know. We’ve cheated death many times right? Who stopped Kronos? Who went all the way to the Ancient Lands? Who fell into hell? Us. Me and you, Annabeth, me and you.”

I stayed there thinking about what he said. Then a realization hit me.

“How come you’re here? You should be sleeping,”

“I…ummm…couldn’t sleep…” he says, but I can see straight through his lie. I raise my eyebrows at him.

“Fine, fine! But I didn’t want to tell you because you were already in such bad state and…”he says.

“Nightmare?”

“I just needed to know that you were ok.”

“Tell me.”

“No.”

“Tell me!”

“No.”

“Perseus Jackson. You will tell me right now what the nightmare,” I say and stare straight into his sea-green eyes. We have a silent staring contest that I win.

“Ugh, fine. Whatever,” he says and then starts to tell me. It’s completely horrible. I can see the hurt in his eyes when he gets to the part where the monster tries to kill me. His voice is so low it’s almost impossible to hear.

“Are you happy now?” he asks me. You can clearly tell that he’s holding back tears.

“Oh my Gods, Percy I… I’m so sorry…”I begin.

“It’s fine. Just a dream.”

We just stand there staring at the horizon, not daring to even think of the horrible things that the future holds.