10: Percy saves Annabeth

Percy’s PoV:

Let’s start at the beginning, shall we?

Well me being the heroic, awesome boyfriend that I am I stood up for Annabeth, only to get ripped open by these monsters. I am a failure, I kept thinking in my head. What kind of boyfriend am I? I try to save her only to get ripped to shreds myself. I couldn’t stand it. The guilt was growing in me, I felt as if it were eating up my insides. I could feel the poison coursing through my veins, making its way to my heart. I didn’t have a lot of time. Before I died I needed to see Annabeth, one last time, to tell her… I could barely keep my eyes open to look for her. My head was pounding, everything was blurry, and it sounded like all the sounds had been turned down. I literally couldn’t hear anything. It must be the poison messing with my brain. Then I saw her. She was standing in the middle of the room shouting at someone behind me, and gesturing wildly towards me. Her hair was a rat’s nest, her face had streaks of dirt, and she was completely covered in monster dust. But in my eyes, she had never looked more beautiful. Simply seeing her made me feel better, the throbbing in my head slowed down and I could hear them talking again.

“-help Percy!” is all I managed to hear. She was running towards me. Stop, I wanted to tell her, it’s too late to save me. Turn around and battle Gaea while you can. But I didn’t have the energy. The cuts were beginning to sting harder by the second, and my headache started again. At least this time I could hear what was happening.  Then I heard her voice.

“You cannot beat me. I am mother Earth itself.” Her again? Just the thought of that evil good for nothing little Earth Goddess, is enough to make my head start throbbing again. I squeeze my eyes trying to make it go away, but for the next few seconds, I couldn’t hear anything. When I finally open my eyes I see the worst scene ever. Annabeth is lying on a sacrificial altar and Gaea is bringing down a knife towards her body. I don’t even have to make a decision. I get up, and run towards Annabeth. I don’t know how. A few second ago I wasn’t able to even open my eyes and now I’m sprinting at top speed. Just the sight of my girlfriend, my best friend, literally lying on her death bed gives me enough energy, I guess. It can’t happen. Annabeth won’t die, I think to myself. I had to save her I had to. It was a good thing I couldn’t hear anyone because I’m pretty sure Piper was using her charm-speak. I jumped over Annabeth and intercepted the knife with my own body. Have you ever been skewered by your own evil maniac of a great grandmother who also happens to be Goddess of the Earth? Trust me it’s not fun. It was like someone had forced a flaming stick, straight through my stomach. And also, landing on my back didn’t help at all. It knocked the wind out of me. I saw the light dawning in Annabeth’s eyes as she saw me. And then the horrified expression on her face.

§ Melanie §