8: The Battle (part 2)

Percy’s PoV:

“Annabeth!” I shouted. Out of all the inconvenient times to get a flashback it had to be now. I couldn’t believe it. She slumped forwards on the floor her eyes rolling upwards. She was mumbling something under her breath that I couldn’t hear. The monsters started moving towards her slowly to see if she was any real threat. I jumped forward and landed above her.

“No one touches her!!” I shouted at the monsters. Then she started crying. It was horrible watching her like that. All I wanted to do was just grab her and hold her and tell her that it was ok, that it was fine. But I couldn’t. I couldn’t comfort her. I had to protect her. That’s when the new monsters came. They looked exactly like the ones in my dream, except for their claws. Their claws were long and extremely sharp. They could slice me to ribbons in a matter of seconds. But then I noticed that their claws had a green, sticky substance dripping from them. Poison. Then the hellhound came. Just like in my dream. I gripped my sword and forced myself to look anywhere but his eyes. I knew that once I looked into his eyes I would be helpless. But how can you battle your enemy if you can’t even look at it? I was vaguely aware of Leo throwing his fire at the monsters, or Piper using her charm-speak, or Jason, zapping them, or Frank who had turned into an elephant and was stamping on them.

“Percy, don’t look into his eyes!” Hazel shouted at me.

“You, think I don’t know?” I mumbled under my breath. I didn’t know what I was doing, but I had to save Annabeth. I just went to battle the hellhound. Like normal (if you call battling a giant hellhound normal). The hellhound laughed at me.

“You really think that you will be able to defeat me?” he laughed at me.

“I don’t think it, I know it!” I answered him. By now I was right in front of him, staring down at my shoes.

He laughed like that was the most stupid idea in the world. I took advantage of his laughing and swung (A/N: what’s the past tense of swing? I hope that’s how it’s written…) my sword at him. He disintegrated. All his little minions with their poisonous claws hissed at me.

“You destroyed our master. You will pay,” they hissed at me. Somewhere behind me, Leo shouted, “Cash or credit card?”

Then they attacked. I didn’t even stand a chance against them they tore at my skin with their long claws. The poison was really horrible. The pain was so horrible, it was even worse than when I had gone into the River Styx. It burned at me, like I had just been dropped in a huge vat of acid. Just at that moment Annabeth decides to wake up. She gasps when she sees me and I guess I don’t look exactly great, what with the monsters ripping me up.

“I’m so sorry,” is all I get to say before I faint from all the pain.

§ Melanie §