5: What if?

Percy’s PoV:

We were about to crash!! I close my eyes and turn all my attention to the water and willed it to solidify. Everyone gasps. I open one eye slowly.

“Did we crash?”

I look down and I see that the boat is about a millimeter from the wall of the dock.

“Whew,” says Piper.

“Guys I say that we go downstairs and make sure that Hazel didn’t murder Frank,” says Annabeth and everyone mumbles a “Yeah.”

As we’re walking down we hear Hazel’s shout from Frank’s room, “WHERE THE HADES ARE YOU FRANK ZHANG?!!”

When we enter the room we see Hazel looking under the bed. “Frank decided to transform into some sort of tiny animal and hide from me!!”

“Ok Frank we really need you here now we’ve arrived,” Annabeth says. Empty silence. “C’mon Frank don’t be scared of Hazel!” Leo says in a mocking tone and Hazel glares at him like she’s burning a hole straight through him. “Ok you have reason to be afraid…” Leo gulps. Suddenly Annabeth’s eyes widen and her mouth opens as if to scream. She grabs onto me while choking out, “Kill it Percy, kill it…” I follow her eyes to where she is looking and I see a small, innocent-looking spider. I step forward and press my shoe down towards it and end up stepping on Frank’s foot.

“Don’t squash me! Please!!” Frank exclaims. “I was the little spider ok please don’t squash me Percy!”

“Sorry! It’s just that Annabeth…” I trailed off.

“Don’t you dare, EVER turn into a spider again, Frank Zhang,” Annabeth whispers slowly.

“Ok…”

“Time to go kick some Earth Goddesses butt guys!!” Leo yells at us.

Annabeth’s PoV:

I can feel that everyone’s tense, especially me after the Frank Zhang spider. Suddenly, for some reason I remember an important detail from this morning.

‘You could call it an important detail. You should be happy that I pointed this out for you…’ Athena says in my mind.

‘Thanks, mom’ I say to her. I remember this morning that when Percy mentioned his nightmare, Piper’s face paled. I need to know what’s wrong. So after everyone’s on deck I walk up to Piper.

“Hey, Piper remember this morning we were talking about nightmares…” Immediately her face tightens with worry, “yeah I noticed that when Percy mentioned nightmare you paled…”

“Are you sure you want to know?” she asks me. I nod quickly at her.

“OK fine I’ll tell you. Well I had this dream and we were on Olympus and we had defeated Gaea and everything, but… there was a really bad feeling, like someone died. And I was right. I saw their coffin so I walked towards it and, I was so close to seeing who died but just then Jason woke me up.”

“Oh…” at this point my mind went blank. I could think about only one thing. Percy’s fatal flaw was loyalty. Would he die ro save another person? probably but,  it couldn’t… he just couldn’t die… it had to be a just dream… I managed to choke out the words, “Percy’s fatal flaw is loyalty…”

A look of comprehension crossed Piper’s face.

“I’m sure it was just a dream…”

“It’s ok thanks for telling me anyway.” Piper smiles a sad smile and I walk towards Percy. When he sees my face he frowns.

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing…” I try to keep my voice light. Nothing but your possible death… Stop! No I can’t think that way!! Percy’s going to live, I’ll make sure of that.

“Ok,” he says nervously, deciding to drop the subject.

“C’mon guys! It’s time to descend to your doom!!” Leo says with mock cheerfulness. And even when I try blocking out those thoughts I can’t stop myself from thinking “But what if?”

§ Melanie §