The Son of Neptune

The Son of Neptune

"How is there only going to be a few months until the next Great Prophecy?"

"Relax. The crew of the Argo II, and with the help of the-"

"Repair Boy?"

Leo mocked hurt. "Really, Beauty Queen? Am I just the repair boy to you?"

Piper shook her head, crossing her arms. She was used to his antics by now.

"Sorry about Leo. He can go a little overboard." Jason apologized with a pointed look at Leo.

Omega, with hidden amusement, spoke up. "Should we start?"

Everyone sat down, getting ready for the next quest.

~

The Son of Neptune opens with Percy Jackson being chased by two gorgons, Stheno and Euryale, who seek revenge for killing their sister Medusa (The Lightning Thief). Percy has lost all memory of his past. They reveal that they're working for Gaea. While making his escape, Percy runs into an old woman named June, who gives him a choice: do her a favor or live safely under the sea while everybody and everything is destroyed. He meets Hazel Levesque, a daughter of Pluto, and Frank Zhang, who is later revealed to be a son of Mars. Hazel and Frank are guarding Camp Jupiter, but let Percy in, as Hazel believes it could be a test from the gods. As the favor, Percy carries June across the Little Tiber, which is a powerful river. In the process, he loses his invincibility from the River Styx. When he reaches his destination, Percy saves Frank from the Gorgons by drowning them. Quickly after, June reveals herself to be the Roman goddess Juno (Hera). She brings a message of warning: "... Death must be unleashed if you are to stand any hope in the battle.".

Percy is taken into the camp after Juno introduces him to Camp Jupiter. Reyna seems to recognize him, but refuses to acknowledge him. It is revealed in "The Son of Neptune" that she and her sister lost their home during Percy's attack (in Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters). She sends Percy and Hazel to Octavian, the camp augur, to determine whether or not he's fit to join the legion. Along the way, Lares, the camp's ancestral spirits, call him Graceus, or "Greek," which worries Hazel. When they reach Jupiter's temple, Octavian is slicing teddy bears open and reading the stuffing. Octavian threatens Hazel by telling her that if she doesn't vote for him, he'll reveal her secret. He declares good omens, and Hazel and Percy go to the temples, where they meet Nico di Angelo, a main character from the Percy Jackson series. He knows Percy, but claims he does not recognize him. Meanwhile, Frank is organizing weaponry when a Lare appears and tells him he knows about his stick and his birth. Frank runs off to find Hazel and Percy. He takes Percy to the baths while Hazel and Nico talk. Hazel reveals that she's from the 1940s and has a blackout during which she relives scenes from her past and moves around in a spirit-like form. She realizes that she's late for the roll call, so she and Nico rush to line up. Percy is accepted into the Fifth Cohort, the least popular of all cohorts.

During war games, a Camp Jupiter activity, Percy impresses everyone with his battle skills and instincts, even though they are not Roman tactics and are more Greek-style. After the games, Octavian deliberately hurts Gwendolyn (Gwen), a centurion from the Fifth Cohort. She is severely injured and dies, only to come back to life a few moments later. Mars, the god of war, appears and informs the campers that "death has been chained" and claims Frank Zhang as his son. Mars insists that Percy and Frank must go on a quest to free Thanatos, the god of death. He has been captured in Alaska and is no longer able to keep mortals dead. Frank requests that Hazel accompany him on the quest, and they set off towards Alaska.

While traveling on their quest, Percy struggles to regain his memory. Time and time again, he recalls things but is never able to determine from where. His only clear memory is of a girl named Annabeth. Hazel reveals that she died long ago, but her half-brother Nico Di Angelo, son of Hades, saved her from the Underworld. Frank tells the other two that he was given a piece of wood that is tied to his life. If the wood burns completely, he will die. After they experience many events and monsters (including basilisks, giants, and an unexpected meeting with the Amazons), they meet Reyna's sister, who helps them and gives Hazel a powerful horse named Arion, who only eats gold and is a son of Neptune. They finally arrive in Alaska, where they find Thanatos in chains, which can only be broken by the fire of life (referring to the piece of wood tied to Frank's life). Percy defends Frank while he melts Thanatos' chains with his burning stick, losing more and more of his life. Hazel attacks Alcyoneus, the giant born to oppose Pluto. Thanatos is eventually freed and with the help of Hazel's horse, Arion, and they drag the giant out of its land of Alaska to Canada where it is able to be killed.

Percy regains his memory as they race back to Camp Jupiter. Knowing that the camp is under attack, Percy takes charge and leads the Romans into battle with the help of some of his old friends from Camp Half-Blood and the Amazons. The morale of the Romans is recharged after they discover that Percy recovered the camp's lost standard, which had been missing for years. Percy challenges the giant, Polybotes (the giant born to oppose Neptune), to a duel and calls to Terminus, the Roman border god, to help him defeat the giant. Percy has been told that only when gods and demigods work together can the giants be defeated. He defeats Polybotes by using the head of Terminus' statue as a weapon. The camp names him a praetor, a leader of the Roman camp. The Greek demigods from Camp Half-Blood appear in the flying ship Argo II sailing towards the camp. The Romans argue over attacking the ship. As praetor, Percy orders them to hold their fire. If the Greeks attack, he would be to blame, but he is not worried. With his arms around Frank and Hazel, he approaches his "other family".

~

The pavilion was silent.

"That. Was. So. BEAUTIFUL!" An Aphrodite girl shouted, referencing to how Percy didn't forget Annabeth.

Before anyone could say anything, the Aphrodite kids demanded for the quest to see Percabeth.

What they didn't know was that the next (and final) quest that will be shown will include Percy and Annabeth falling into Tartarus.

~MsPenguingirl1234.

Published: July 20, 2017.