Chapter Twenty-Eight

All he could see was darkness. The area was really cold too, and made his skin feel numb.

   'Where am I...'

   Kaito tried to move but couldn't. His arms and legs felt like they were being restrained, and whatever held them down wouldn't budge.

   "Is anyone here...?"

   His voice was inaudible. He yelled as loud as he could; the words came out, but the sound refused. Then he finally heard his voice. But the words were different from the ones he tried to speak.

   "You're so worthless!"

   "What... why is..."

   "You're a waste of air!"

   "Why are you still alive, huh?"

   "Awww, are you crying~?"

   That's when Kaito realized. Those were words once aimed at Len.

   "No... I didn't mean it..."

   All around him, he heard his own voice yelling horrible words meant for the person he loved the most. Tears fell down his face and he desperately tried to break himself free from his restraints.

   "Stop it...! Let me go...! I didn't mean any of that...!"

   The voices grew louder making Kaito scream. He fell limp, slowly giving up.

   "Len... how could you possibly love me..."

————

   Len found the police station without a problem. There was only one person there, but he agreed to bring Len to the hospital.
When asked why, the boy explained the situation. And now they were on the road. Len stayed silent the whole ride; he was worried Gakupo had done something to Luka and was coming after him...

    'It's ok... Luka said she'd be fine... everything will be fi—'

   A loud noise had rang out and a tire popped. Len glanced at the police officer, trembling a little.

   "Ah damn! Hang on..."

   The police officer out the car and inspected the back tire. Len started to mentally panic and sweat. He tugged at his seatbelt and grit his teeth, eventually just taking his seatbelt off and opening his door.

   "Wh-What's wrong...?"

   Instead of an answer he heard the loud noise again, causing his blood to run cold. The officer fell to the ground laying still.

   "A-Are you ok...?!"

   That's when he saw the red puddle forming below him. Len's eyes went wide and he slowly backed away.

   "Oh no... oh no...!"

   Len started to hyperventilate and he broke off into a sprint down the road. When he heard a voice yelling his name, he only ran faster. In the distance he could see the soft lights from the hospital. He felt a sense of hope and hurried as fast as he could.

   "Len-Kun! Do you honestly want to leave!"

   The sudden yell scared Len and caused him to trip and fall. He hurriedly got back to his feet and rushed toward the hospital. He heard a gunshot and screamed. He wasn't hit, but it encouraged him to move faster. He reached the doors and ran inside. The waiting area was empty, the dim lights made it eerie. Len went toward the desk and looked around.

   "Hello? Is anyone here?! I-I'm looking for Lily!"

  It was quiet for a moment, then a young woman with long pretty blonde hair came out and came to the desk.

  "Yes, I'm Lily! I'm sorry, I was checking on our patients. I had someone else coming in tonight but she's running late..."

   "You mean Luka right? She sent me! Something's going on... her fiancé is insane and he had a gun, she told me to run here, and he's chasing me—!"

   "Whoa whoa!" Lily stopped him.

   "Slow down, come with me and we'll call the police," She quickly lead him behind the desk to the back room.

   Lily went to another desk, pressed a button, and spoke in a speaker.

   "Attention to all doctors, nurses, and late night visitors, we have a shooter close to the building and we are entering lockdown. Those of you visiting, please stay where you are and don't leave the building! Nurses, please be prepared and keep an eye on your patients, the police will be alerted immediately. I repeat, we have a shooter close to the building and entering are entering lockdown!"

   Lily went to a cabinet and looked around.

   "Young man, this shooter is Gakupo Kamui, right?"

   "Yeah, how'd you know...?" Len asked.

   "You said Luka's fiancé was after you, right? Luka is a close friend, I've seen this guy a few times... I always thought something was wrong with him..." Lily explained.

   She put a few things away, then grabbed a phone quickly dialing.

   "What's your name? Is there anyone you know close by?"

  "I'm Len. And no, my home is far away from here..." He said.

   Lily gave a nod then put the phone to her ear.

   "Hello? Yes, this is Lily, I'm a doctor at Kitagawa Hospital. There's a shooter coming toward the building," She went to a window and peeked out the blinds to look around.

  Len stood by the wall, his heart was still racing from all the running. Then he heard light barking...

   He glanced toward a hallway and saw a little shiba in a karakusa bandana barking at him. Hadn't he seen this dog before...? Lily jumped and looked in the direction of the puppy.

   "Go get that dog to stay quiet!" She said to Len.

   He nodded and ran toward the dog. The dog started sniffing him then tried to lick his face.

   "Wait... Aki...? What are you doing here...?"

   The puppy turned and went down the hallway, constantly looking back at Len as if telling him to follow.

   "Are you trying to show me something...?"

   He took a few steps forward, then froze in his place.

   He heard a gunshot and a loud crash.