Lunch

I arrived at the Cafe a few minutes early. I made sure Stephen hadn't arrived before heading to the bar and taking a stool. I ordered a glass of wine and watched the others around me. Midday patrons are not quite as interesting as night patrons, who tend to drink more and act in such odd manners when trying to attract the opposite sex. 

I was watching an older gentleman try to pick up his waitress when I felt hands on my waist. I screamed, spun around and splashed the water from the glass on the bar on the creep trying to feel me up. 

I covered my mouth with one hand, trying to hide the giggling that was beginning, while I  set the glass back on the bar.

Stephen just stood there, frozen to the spot, with his arms still reached out to where my waist was before I turned around. He just looked at me with a surprised expression. 

"I am so sorry, " I managed while trying not to laugh. The barman handed me a towel and I reached it out to Stephen, who still did not move. I cautiously moved closer and began drying his face and neck. He relaxed his arms and kept staring at me as I dried him off as best I could. 

"I am really sorry. I thought you were some creep trying to feel me up."

"Sir, your table is ready, " the host said in a dead pan manner. I looked from the host to Stephen who didn't respond. I smiled and followed the host. Stephen followed behind. 

We were sat at a small table outside in the shade with a lovely view of the fountain courtyard. 

When the waiter brought us our wine and menus, I opened mine and hid behind it. 

"How was your morning?" I jumped a little when Stephen spoke. It had been so quiet after we ordered. 

"Fine. I did what I usually do at home on Sundays." I smiled and took a gulp of wine. I started feeling nervous because I was not sure if I should bring up that I heard what he said or not. 

"That's nice. What was that?" Stephen asked sipping his own wine. 

The waiter brought over our lunch and refilled our glasses. 

"So how was work?" I tried to deflect the question on to Stephen and hope he was not paying attention that had not answered his. 

He smiled as he put his glass down. "It was good. Emma and I always have fun. Couldn't ask for a better job."

"That's great." I responded cheerfully and started to take bites of my salad. 

Stephen put his silverware down and looked at me with a huge smile on his face. With a mouth full of food I looked up at him from my plate.

"What?" I said through my covered mouth. 

"Nothing," Stephen said and went back to eating his meal. It was my turn to look at him confused as he sipped his wine staring back at me. I could by his eyes he was smiling. 

"It's killing you isn't it?" Stephen said as he put his glass down. 

"What is?" I asked. 

Stephen just smiled and went back to eating. 

"Am I missing something?" I asked watching him pick olives out of his salad. 

"What? No. You're fine." Stephen responded as he made a face of disgust flicking the olives on one of the bread plates. 

We finished our lunch with the same confusing banter. I could tell Stephen was trying to bait me, but I had no clue as to what about. 

As we stood to leave and he helped me with my cardigan, he smiled and kissed me on the cheek. Without saying anything else, he placed his arm on the small of my back and guided me out of the Cafe. 

I kept taking peeks at him as we walked down the street and he just kept the same smile on his face but not saying anything.