C5: Pointed Fingers

*

A guard points his sword at the apple of the assassins' throat. "Who sent you? Your family's lives are on the line. Don't think that your keeping quiet would benefit your future generations in any way."

The assassin looks visibly shaken and swallows down his fears. He turns slightly to the side so that his eyes make contact with someone on the other side of the hall. His wavering pupils then pass by Li Meixing before returning back to Huang Siming. "Prime Minister Li."

Li Meixing pales. "Father, what did he say?" She anxiously reaches out to grab Prime Minister Li's hands, only to find that they are drenched with sweat and his smile is frozen. The blood drains out of her face. She remembers Li Shaomei mentioning the group of people that visited the fu earlier in the morning, the gossip about the relationship between her father and Huang Siming, and his warning to her before arriving at the palace. No, this can't be happening. Her vision begins to blur and the walls seem to be closing up on her. She closes her eyes and blocks out the cries of disbelief erupting from the other officials.

No. This can't be. It has to be a mistake. Her father... he wouldn't. Her father is someone who cares about Qi Kingdom above anything else, even above his own family. She remembers seeing glimpses of him over the past couple of months, by himself in his courtyard with nothing but a single candle lit and stacks of papers. He stays in his room for days on end, hoping to sort through international affairs and determining the best course of action for the kingdom. No matter how much he hates someone, as long as the kingdom benefits, he will not take action. Though the two of them don't speak to each other as much as they used to, that bit of his personality she knows too well. He must have been framed.

"Impudent!" Prime Minister Song slams the table and angrily stands up. "Prime Minister Li, I have always trusted you. Do you disagree with His Majesty's plans so much to wish for his life?"

Li Meixing anxiously bites her lip. Huang Siming, you... you trust me, right? The you who so readily took me shopping this morning, the you who gifted me the pin that I wove into my hair, the you who shows nothing to me but your poised smile... will stand by me, right? Li Meixing distressedly pulls at Prime Minister Li's hand. "Father, you must have been framed. Tell Huang Siming that--"

Prime Minister Li turns to Li Meixing. "Don't call the emperor by his name. Listen closely. Your mistake was trusting the emperor. Mine was letting you do so. You think that I was framed? Look around. Who would dare to frame me other than that man over there?"

The emperor lets out a sharp laugh. "Prime Minister Li, would you like to defend yourself?"

Li Meixing lets go of her father and slumps onto the chair, his words ringing in her ear. 'Who would dare to frame him other than that man over there.' Does he mean Huang Siming? "No," she nervously murmurs to herself, "he... he wouldn't."

Prime Minister Li slowly stands up to face the emperor and bows. "This is, undeniably, a poor attempt at framing. This loyal official would never imagine leading an assassination attempt against Your Majesty. One year ago, this official met up with Your Majesty to seat Your Majesty on the throne. This official has actively supported Your Majesty's reign since, and even more so Your Majesty and my daughter's relationship. Yes, there were differences that had to be sorted out, but this official would never overstep his boundaries. Your Majesty knows this, no? Your Majesty knows everything. As such, allow this official to firmly congratulate Your Majesty. Your Majesty is young, the youngest emperor the Qi Kingdom has witnessed. The court officials are all hungry sharks eager for the throne underneath you. With this execution, this sacrifice, Your Majesty's problems are solved. Even your plans that will inevitably destroy the people of this kingdom will no longer face my opposition." He picks up a glass of wine, gulps it down, and, for the first time since his wife's death, smiles. "I congratulate you."

Prime Minister Zhao stands up and shakes his finger at Prime Minister Li. "How dare you use informal language against the emperor?" He bows to the emperor. "This official sees Prime Minister Li as guilty. Over the last couple of days, Prime Minister Li and Your Majesty have disagreed over the international actions that should be taken. Prime Minister Li could no longer handle the opposition and wanted to dethrone Your Majesty."

Li Meixing locks eyes with Li Shaomei, whose tears are already spilling onto her cheeks and her dress. This can't be real. "Father, what should we--"

Prime Minister Li lets out a breath. "I will not live. You will not live. No one in our family will live," he tells Li Meixing, "for the emperor's ambitions are so large that he is willing to ignore the advice of his officials. This family is his first step."

The emperor stands up. "I have made my decision. Prime Minister Li is found guilty and will be publicly executed. The rest of the Li family and the next three generations will have the same fate." Li Meixing stares at the face of the man that she has loved for four years, whose impassive expression makes him look foreign to her. Huang Siming, is Father correct? Did you know about this? Did you... did you frame him? "The execution will take place tomorrow at the center of the city, where everyone can witness the disgrace that the Li family has brought to themselves. Let the banquet come to an end, and let the Li family's fate serve as a warning to the rest of you. Guards, throw them into prison."

Li Meixing's arms are roughly seized by an imperial guard and she is dragged with the rest of the family away from the glimmering imperial hall. Huang Siming, did you ever love me?