C11: Moonlit Letters

*

Li Meixing looks at him, feeling conflicted and relieved at the same time. Xi Tan has been her personal bodyguard for years and follows her wherever she goes. That night at the imperial banquet, the guards must've dealt with him first before framing her family. "Could you lend me two sets of male clothes?"

Xi Tan silently nods and promptly disappears.

Li Meixing takes a final sip from her tea and returns to gazing at the clouds, her lips subtly curved upwards in a determined smile. She finally has a plan.

***

The time being just after lunch, the capital city is filled with life and forms of excitement. Numerous vendors have set up shop on each street, and crowds of people walk from one stand to the other, exploring the different goods being sold and talking to one another. The aromas of chicken and pork from nearby food stands waft through the air and entice people into buying more than they can eat. Hopeful musicians sit at the intersections and play their respective instruments while nodding in thanks to those who offer donations.

A cheerful smile graces Li Meixing's lips as she leisurely explores the different vendors set up about the streets. Her hair, tied up in the simple updo that men wear, accentuates the rosiness of her cheeks and her snow-like beauty. Several young women passing by her can't help but steal a second look and fervently admire the appearance of this delicate-looking young man.

"I originally came out very reluctantly, but who knew that such a person would show up?" one girl whispers to her friend. "Although it's quite lamentable that I'm not even as pretty as a man, it still could be said that my eyes have been satisfied."

Spotting a vendor selling beautiful autumnal capes, Li Meixing excitedly points it out to Bai Wei and eagerly rushes in line to buy one.

"Everyone, move out of the way!" Barely a moment later, a large horse carrying a carriage with an emerald insignia comes barreling down the street. The loud crack of a whip momentarily stuns the street into silence before havoc spills over.

"Hey, who are you? You spilled all of my steamed buns!" one man angrily shouts, pointing toward the steamed buns that were knocked over by the carriage.

The horse comes to a stop. A proud-looking man dressed in servant's attire steps out of the carriage. "The person in this carriage is Chen Hu, the eldest son of Prime Minister Chen. You all are lucky to even be in his presence!" He spits on the ground and tosses a couple of gold pieces before the angry shop owner. "You want the money, don't you? Well, there you go." He boards the carriage, and it quickly speeds away.

"Tch. That lousy good-for-nothing is probably off to the brothel again. And in broad daylight, too. Just squandering away all of his father's money at every chance he gets," a nearby woman scorns.

He's going to the brothel again? An idea pops up in Li Meixing's head after hearing the woman's words. "Bai Wei, when are the next servant examinations?"

"E-eh? The last one was just a couple of days ago, so the next one should be in three and a half weeks."

So I have three and a half weeks.

Li Meixing and Bai Wei continue walking through the capital city. Bai Wei is curious about what her mistress is looking for and why she decided to go on this sudden trip in the first place but knows that it isn't within her place to ask.

Li Meixing suddenly picks up an appetizing aroma in the air and, despite already having eaten, finds herself craving the source of the smell. Following her nose, she's soon guided to a large food stand selling porridge. While most of the food stands have little to no line due to it being mid-afternoon, this particular stand is still surrounded by people.