C13: Dog Biting Its Master

*

Dressed in a simple lilac dress, minimal makeup, and one hairpin inserted into her hair, Li Meixing rushes toward the Western courtyard. The crisp autumn air in the early morning makes her cheeks slightly rosy with color and accentuates the paleness of her skin. From afar, it looks as if she's an innocent and delicate fairy.

The time taken to reach the Western courtyard isn't long, and soon a loud and firm voice can be heard. "—have been concluded. Last month, as you all know, there were only two maids released from the Li residence." Rows and rows of maids kneeling on the floor appear upon turning the corner. Their heads are respectfully lowered toward the older lady standing before them, and upon further inspection, some of their figures seem to be trembling. "This month, who knows if it's because of the weather or because Master [Prime Minister Li] has been busy," the lady at the front continues, "but ten of you have been found unsatisfactory." The maids' figures tremble even more violently and some of them sink their heads lower so as not to attract attention.

Cai Momo, the lady that was speaking to the kneeling maids, turns toward Li Meixing upon noticing her presence. Her eyes carry a stern expression and her lips are pressed firmly to each other. Due to her older age, she has faint wrinkle lines on her face, but it can be discerned that she was originally an elegant young lady that paid much attention to appearances. "Da xiaojie," she greets. She notices Li Meixing's straightened back, poised smile, and graceful demeanor, and nods approvingly. "What can this one do to assist da xiaojie?"

Li Meixing is slightly caught off guard but doesn't show it with any change of expression. "Cai Momo," she greets back. Even though Cai Momo is a maid, her position within the residence is very high and she is Ying Nurong's [Li Meixing's mother's] closest confidant. On top of that, Cai Momo taught Li Meixing all of the basic rules of etiquette and treated her with a balance of strictness and caring similar to the attitude of a mother. When she passed away suddenly due to illness, both Ying Nurong and Li Meixing were deeply saddened. Seeing her suddenly after so many years made Li Meixing nostalgic, but she can't afford to be distracted. "Don't know if Cai Momo could reveal which ten maids are to be released?"

Cai Momo grimly turns back to the rows of kneeling maids. "If your name is called, stand up and come to the front. "Rong Zhe for spilling tea on a dress." A maid with an ordinary appearance stands up and staggers toward them, her shoulders quivering and a faint sniffling sound coming from her. "Cu Laining for starting a fight with another maid. Ni Miao for helping her." As Cai Momo continues to list names, more and more devastated girls approach them. In high-ranking officials' families, those suspected of being spies mysteriously disappear in the middle of the night, and those accused of being unsatisfactory in their work are released from the residence. Because being a maid means being exposed to secrets that the families have, when they are released from the residence, they are directly sold to the lowest-ranked brothels where they will spend the rest of their lives serving the poorest and most uncouth of commoners. Once they are sold and their life contracts are in the brothels' hands, it can be said that their lives are over. Any dreams that they may have had about rising up the ranks to become a tangfang [high-ranking maid that serves the master in the bedroom] or even a concubine in another family are completely shattered.

"Yao Zexi for being disrespectful to her superior." A beautiful maid with alluring red lips, a thin, willow-like waist, and porcelain complexion slowly rises. A nearby maid still kneeling on the floor sneers in her heart. For someone with such a seductive appearance, it's incredible that the Madam of the household didn't sell her off sooner. She's lucky that the Master and Madam have such a close relationship that even Concubine Wei with such a gentle appearance cannot hold any place in the Master's heart.

"Yi Zhong for being late to serve a request." A subtle gasp is heard as a girl with peach-shaped eyes and pearl-like skin shakily stands up. Her cheeks are slightly rounded and make her seem younger than she actually is, creating a sense of having to protect her from the evil gazes of outsiders. Based on the reactions of others, it seems that she is one of the maids that is most well-liked and appreciated.

"Qiao Yilin for stealing." Of all ten maids that are called, Qiao Yilin is perhaps the most impressive. Her eyes are clear and without any trace of unsteadiness or desperation so that even though she neither looks as seductive as Yao Zexi or as delicate as Yi Zhong, she still draws the most attention. Each step she takes is firm and unwavering. Her natural sense of elegance and fundamental pride don't allow her to show hesitation even upon the declaration of the end of her life.

Li Meixing smiles softly. She has seen all that she needs to see. Naturally, the maids at the Li fu are all outstanding, but for these three to be especially eye-catching and let go from the residence can be considered her blessing. Who knows if all of the accusations are even true? As a maid, the slightest stumble can be counted against you, and being too extraordinary can also be your downfall. 

After studying Li Huoxin's history books and analyzing the relationships between the imperial families of the past and their most prized subjects, Li Meixing realized that the concept is also the same for officials as well. Being outstanding is certainly good for rising up the ranks in court, but the more power one gains, the more the imperial family becomes wary. After using the Li family to help him safely ascend the throne, Huang Siming's actions of turning back on his greatest helper and exterminating the entire family was the result of this unease—but that doesn't make him any less despicable in Li Meixing's eyes. To gift her a red dress with a warm smile while knowing that it was the last thing that she'd ever wear will forever be unforgivable, and even more so that after all of the labor that her family went through to help him behind the scenes, he had the guts to toast them to their deaths. 

Li Meixing turns to leave the courtyard at a pace much calmer than that she arrived in. The conflict at Huisu City will be starting soon and she needs to make enough preparations. This can be considered as her first step. Li Meixing thinks of the horrors that the maids will face in the lowest-ranked brothel and suppresses the quiver of hesitation that arises within her. This is all necessary.