(4) lies are painful

Please remember that I am in no way trying to offend anyone by anything that is written below. It is part of the character and is not how I feel personally. Enjoy!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Juliet

I peel the black stilettos off my feet and run towards the closest exit I can find. All the while tears are streaming down my face.

Julian and Alexis.

Both liars. Both had the courage to do it. With each other. Without telling me. Great friends I had.

I feel the fresh fall air brush against my skin as I push through the back door of Danny's house.

How could he? I thought he had changed. Changed from who he used to be and what he used to think and do. Clearly freshman year was just a glimpse of the future. I guess people really don't change.

And Alexis. To think she was my best friend of 14 years and she would do this.

As I sit on the wooden porch swing, I let the tears flood my vision. They don't stop. I just want to go home, but Julian was my only form of transportation. Mother and Daddy are out at dinner with Daddy's newest clients. They would be furious if I bothered them. I decide to put the situation to rest and just let myself drown in the tears.

Quiet, even footsteps seem to be approaching me quicker and quicker by the minute. I snap my head up to see the person I least expected. Once again, Joseph Grey pops out from the shadows.

I don't even care that he's here at this point, nothing matters anymore.

"J-Juliet? Are you o-okay?"

I slightly shake my head, still resting it in my hands.

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking." He whispers.

"I don't want to talk about it. Please, just go." I whimper.

"Listen, I know you hate me and everything, but I'm not going to just leave you here in the cold. You'll freeze to death." He sits down next to me.

"Doesn't sound too bad right about now." The life completely draining from my voice.

"Juliet, I know you don't mean that."

"I do." More tears flow down my stained cheeks.

"Do you need anything?" He looks off into the distance.

I shake my head once more before replying.

"Why are you being so nice to me? I've been nothing but rude to you." I finally look up from my hands.

"I don't really know. I think that no matter how strong somebody looks, or how cruel, in this case, they can be, they always need somebody to help them. And you looked like you needed some help." He shrugs.

I think about how helpless I probably look right now, causing more tears to run down my face.

"Do you need me to take you home?" He talks once again.