Chapter 3

Ever since Sherlock had paid Hayley a surprise visit in the park, his offer is all she can think about. If she did as he asked, what will she tell Melody? How is she gonna describe Sherlock to her? An old friend? A former boyfriend? Her father? And even if they meet, how will it go when they retreat to their normal life without Sherlock in it?

So many questions are occupying her mind, making it hard to think of anything else. She's sitting on the couch in her home. It's not big, but the size is not a problem. The problem is what it contains. White walls, light gray kitchen, gray couch... it's all so clean, so modern. She misses the old touch; a messy kitchen, a comfortable leather chair by the fireplace, a busy detective running around all over the place. It's now that she's met Sherlock and talked to him that she realizes how much she wants things to go back to what they were.

Therefore, she decided to pay her previous home a visit.

* * *

It is afternoon, and the Watsons are gathered inside 221B when Hayley and Melody arrives. Mrs. Hudson kindly walks them up to the living room. She has made tea and bought cookies like it is a lovely family reunion... as a matter of fact, it kind of is. But lovely? Hayley isn't so sure she would use that word.

"Ah, I'm so glad you came," Mary greets them and gives Hayley a hug.

"Rosie," Melody says and looks at Mary who smiles.

"She's over there," she replies and points behind her at her own daughter who's playing with some trains and cars on the floor. Melody instantly marches over to her and begins to play along. Sherlock is watching her, and now he sees her clearly and he can't help to smile at the little girl.

When Mary steps aside. Hayley turns and sees John sitting in his chair and Sherlock in the opening to the kitchen. She gives him a short smile, but it soon disappears when she moves her attention to the room. Just like she remembers it. Being back feels strange, but like a relief at the same time. It's warm and cozy. Filled with memories. All of it makes her wanna hug Sherlock. To embrace him and just forget all the bad stuff and focus on this moment. Focus on the present and not keep holding on to the past.

"Can I get you a cup of tea, dear?" Mrs. Hudson asks and drags Hayley out of her thoughts.

"Yes, thank you."

As the landlady goes to get a cup from the kitchen, Sherlock walks up to her next.

"Thanks for coming." He speaks softly and Hayley knows he really means it.

All he gets back is a simple "Yeah". She really wanna hug him right now. She hasn't felt the warmth of his touch since the night they first slept together. But she didn't want to do it in front of everyone. So she continues to fight it. What she doesn't know, is that Sherlock is fighting the same battle.

Putting down the backpack that belonged to Melody, Hayley accepts the cup of tea Mrs. Hudson brings to her. Sherlock is unsure of what to do. Should he sit down? Should he go over to his daughter and introduce himself? No. He wouldn't do that.

"Sherlock, any words on the latest case?" John breaks the silence. The tension in the room could be cut with a knife. This gets Hayley's attention. As a normal reflects, she turns to the wall above the couch and sees all the pictures and maps Sherlock's put up. Why didn't she see those when she walked in?

The detective clears his throat. "Erh, no. I can't see the pattern. It's too nebulous."

Hayley's curiosity grows at it begins to remind her more and more of how her life used to be. She studies the photographs on the wall, seeing if there's anything of interest, but she doesn't get to look at all of them before Sherlock continues.