Chapter 9

The next morning, Sherlock finds himself repeating yesterday's morning. He dresses himself and Melody, carries her down to the first floor, passes the lobby, and finds a free table. Placing her down on one of the chairs, he tells her to wait while he goes to get food for both of them. Not long after, John shows up by his side.

"Morning," he says and picks up some fruit on his plate. "Ready for today?"

"Just want to get it over with," Sherlock answers while taking two pieces of bread.

"Mmm. And how did it go last night?"

"Fine."

"Right."

They continue to get food in silence for a short moment before Sherlock comes to senses.

"Thank you," he says quietly and gives him a brief look.

In return, John nods. "Glad I could be of assistance in something else other than on a case," he says smiling and walks back to the tables, but suddenly stops and turns his head towards Sherlock. "Where's Melody?" Sherlock looks at him like he's an idiot.

"What do you mean where? She's right-" he turns his head and lifted finger in the right direction when he abruptly stops in his words. His face turns pale and his eyes widen as he slowly lowers his hand. John's eyes go back and forth between Sherlock and the empty table he's staring at like a ping pong ball. He knows what that look on his friend means.

Sherlock?"

"No," Sherlock mutters and despairingly looks around. "Melody!" The other people around them turn to look to see what's going on, but neither Sherlock nor John care. Both of them put down the trays with food to move faster out of the room. "Melody!"

Arriving in the lobby, John runs outside while Sherlock goes to the woman in the reception. "Has a little girl come by here, two years old, curly hair?" His voice is desperate, which makes the woman behind the desk a bit uncomfortable.

"I don't know, sir. I just arrived here, I'm sorry," she tells him. Sherlock shouts and slams his palm hard on the desk, making the woman jump.

"I didn't see her outside," John tells him when he returns back inside.

"No, this isn't happening," Sherlock mumbles to himself and tries to steady his breath.

"You think they took her?"

"Why else would you explain her disappearance?" Sherlock turns around to face John. His face is filled with rage as well as worry.

"What's going on, little brother?" Mycroft asks as he comes out of the elevator towards them. When he realizes that his niece isn't there with them, and he sees the expression on their faces, he begins to put pieces together.

"What happened?"

"He took her," Sherlock says with gritted teeth and looks furiously at his brother. "He took her!" he repeats. "You brought us here, it's your fault!" He makes a move towards him, but John is quick enough to stop him.

"Sherlock now is not the time," he tells him, standing between the Holmes brothers.

"No, it's because of you. Melody lost her mother because of you, and now I've lost her!" Again, he tries to punch him, but John stops him this time too.

"Wow, Sherlock, stop! We're wasting time. They can't have gotten far, but we have to leave, now!"

Finally, the trio gets out, hail cab and tell the driver to take them to the airport. When it doesn't go quickly enough, Sherlock yells at the driver to go faster.