Chapter 3

Hamza Dawud

Amy was going to see her dad today. I would have gone along like I usually did but there was apparently an issue which required a private conversation without me. So I decided I'd go and bless Safia's household with my presence.

"Asalamu'alaykum! World's best uncle is here," I announced, pushing past Safia to get into the house. Maria and Adam came charging at me and almost knocked me over.

"Uncle Hamja, I came first in sports day yesterday!" Maria said.

"And I scored a goal at lunchtime today!" Adam added.

"But my teacher said I write neatly." There was a competitive tone to Maria's voice.

"Well, I can jump higher than you." I wasn't too impressed with Adam's retort. Jump higher? Well, he was a couple of inches shorter than Maria so jumping higher wouldn't do him any good. They'd probably just reach the same height jumping.

"I can skip better than you."

"I can do all these things better than you so let's stop arguing and agree on how I'm the best at everything."

"Are you the best at farting too?" Adam asked cheekily. I could hear Safia cackling behind me.

"It's the only thing he's the best at," Safia said. I couldn't think of a response, for once. Instead, I picked the two kids up, one under each arm, and took them to the living room. I dumped them on the sofa and sat between them.

I asked them questions about school and spoke to them until they got bored of talking.

"Come and play with us Uncle Hamja," Adam said, pulling on my arm.

"But I'm tired. I came here straight from work. And I'm getting old now so I can't play too much. My joints will get sore. Look at my wrinkles." I squinted and pointed to my eyes.

"You weren't old when you were jumping in that trampoline the other day."

"Shush, you."

"Mummy says it's rude to shush," Maria said, looking up at me with disappointed eyes.

"I'm allowed to tell mummy to shush because I'm mummy's older brother."

"No, you're not!" Adam said, looking like he was about to burst out laughing.

"Yes, I am."

"No, your mummy's little brother," he replied with conviction.

"No, I'm older than your mummy."

"Then why don't you have kids?" I could see his logic.

"Because you're my kids."

"But you're not our daddy."

"Adam, Maria, why don't you go and play outside now? Uncle Hamza might join you later after he's rested," Safia said and the kids obeyed.

"Sorry about that," Safia apologised.

"About what?"

"What they said."

"What did they say?" I was genuinely baffled.

"You know, about having kids," she replied awkwardly.

"Oh, that doesn't bother me. It's Allah's will. If he wills of to have kids, great. If he doesn't, then we'll consider other avenues. But I'm not really worrying about it yet." A short silence followed. "Have you been speaking to Amy about this?"