Chapter 8

Amy Faber

After a month of panic and trying to figure out how we could protect Kaiser, we decided we'd need legal help. Someone to advise us. Yusuf said he had a friend who's a barrister who we could meet to get some advice from him for free.

The day we'd planned to go, Hamza couldn't make it due to work so Safia dropped her kids off at her mum's while the two of us followed Yusuf into central London to meet this man. I left Kaiser with dad for the day.

There was a delay somewhere along the central line on the underground so the trains were packed and the platform at the station was fairly crowded. 

"If we go towards the end of the platform and get on near the end of the train, there will be more space," Safia suggested, feeling uneasy being in the middle of a crowd. She latched onto Yusuf to avoid anyone touching her.

"But then we'll have to walk all the way to the other side of the platform towards the exit when we get off," Yusuf claimed. It took only a minute to walk from one end of the platform to the other.

"But the crowds..."

"It's okay, I got you."

"Yeah, but what if I don't got you? What if gotta got you?"

"What?"

"Exactly."

"Again, what?"

"Yes, Safia. What?" I asked and Safia shrugged, unable to explain herself. "I do think we should move down where there's less of a crowd." 

"Fine," Yusuf surrendered. 

When we finally got on the train, it was still rather packed and Yusuf stood over Safia, one hand looped over the railing above and the other hand around Safia's waist ensuring no one pushed or shoved her. I had to fend for myself. If only Hamza was here...

Safia reached out and held my arm as I almost toppled over. I smiled at her and then a memory came floating back to me of a time when we were in college.

We were on a crowded bus and Safia was complaining. She then confessed that she wished she had a husband who would stand in front of her as a shield against other people so she wouldn't have to scrape past any men or have any men scrape past her. 

I grinned at her, seeing her du'as answered. She looked back at me confused.

"I'll tell you later," I mouthed, the train too loud to speak. I hated the central line.

When we got to our destination, we pushed past people to get off. Once we were finally out of the station, I took a deep breath, feeling grateful for the fresh air.

"This way," Yusuf said, pulling Safia's hand towards the right direction.

"Guys, you're making me feel like the third wheel here," I complained.

"We're a tricycle," Safia said. 

"If Hamza was here, what would we be? Two bicycles?"

"No, a car," Safia corrected. "A ferrari." 

"Sometimes I feel like you spend so much time with Adam and Maria that you begin speaking like them," Yusuf commented, shaking his head at Safia.

"Well, if you're not gonna spend time with me then what choice do I have?" Safia asked.

"I always spend time with you! Every night and weekend. And holidays."

"You being at home isn't spending time with me. Especially as most of the time, you've got your head in a book," Safia muttered.