Fleeing

~ Serena's POV ~

Darkness closes in from the edges of my vision, threatening to overtake my sight completely. My legs ache terribly and my chest feels like it's about to burst.

"Damn, they're catching up!"

How did this happen?

Absol told me we were still a hundreds of miles away from the border, so why-?!

Turning around for a split second, I give a low 'tch' as I spot the monsters slowly gaining on us.

Their forms aren't stable, constant- rather, they're always shifting and changing shapes. They aren't totally corporeal, either, more like a mass of squishy, purplish black shadows.

Absol whirls, leaping forward at them and sends a powerful Night Slash back their way. While the move's absorbed into the body immediately upon contact, it helps slow the monster down until the process is finished. After, my ally comes back beside me.

"How many do we have trailing us?" Speaking proves to be challenging, as my thoughts are all jumbled while I'm running. "Three," he responds. "And how the heck are we supposed to lose them?!" "Outrun them."

Throwing a hand back, I shout, "Swift!" Several small white stars form near my palm and spiral backwards. Without looking to see the results of my efforts, I continue my sprint.

"They should disappear very soon!" Absol says to my relief, but I can't slow down yet. "Soon?! Thank Arceus, we've been sprinting for a while now!" "Yeah, keep going a little further!"

With the dark sky looking over in the presence of night, it's hard to perceive obstacles in front of us. It gets even better when we enter a forest with the tops of trees thick with leaves. (Note the sarcasm.)

I stumble once on a root, curse quickly, and then regain my footing.

"You alright?" Absol half growls half shouts. "Yeah!" I answer.

Then,

I trip on a rock.

Of course.

Pain flares in my knees and hands as they dig into the earth, where stones and branches lie in wait. I hear the sound of Absol's feet stopping, then approach me as I kneel on the ground, completely out of breath.

"Serena, can you stand?" After I've stopped running, I realize it's even harder to get back up after. No words are uttered from my mouth, so I weakly shake my head 'no.'

Following a brief moment of silence, Absol bites the hem of my dirt-stained shirt and begins to dig. I try to calm my heart down and instead be useful and scout for the monsters.

Fortunately, I can still see them against the swiftly darkening sky and trees.

Unfortunately, they're approaching fast.

"Done!"

With a rough tug, Absol manages to throw me into the hole. Squeezing my eyes shut, I wait to endure the pain.

After I fall to the bottom, I crawl into a small cave next to it as instructed by Absol. I stick a thumbs up to the side where the opening is, and retract my hand as Absol jumps down next. He walks right next to me and lies down, exhausted.

Catching our breaths, I ask, "are... you sure they can't get us here?" My question makes Absol smile grimly.

"Yes. They can't take what they can't see." "Won't the border keep moving towards us?" "We'll leave before it gets here, hopefully by the time those things go away."

The cold hard stone of the cavern floor makes me remember what we talked about in our previous location.

The Void...

~ Flashback ~

It's been on my mind since the beginning of our conversation, so I decide to bring it up now. "Absol, you looked like you were running away from something... Are there other Pokémon still going after you?"

He stares out of the entrance, where a dim but still present light shines through. "I was running away from something, yes..."

"Was it Darkrai's lackeys still?"

"No."

"Humans? Rogue Pokémon?"

"No. Darkrai eradicated all humans, and no Pokémon still chase me."

"Then, what?"

Absol finally turns, a certain darkness reflected in his eyes. "The way we and this universe will disappear is not an almighty light that will take us away sometime later on."

Clenching a paw, with white fur stained with dirt and mud, he studies me closely for my reaction as he says,

"the world is being consumed by... something that was named the Void."

Consumed?

Void?

I force myself to speak, though fearing to hear the answer. "What is it exactly?"

He starts to draw with his nail in the dirt floor of the cave; after a few moments, there is a circle. "This is our world," Absol begins, then draws a dot at the very bottom.

"This is where the Void started, and now..." He starts shading in the circle slowly, going from bottom to top.

"Everything the Void touches disappears. This is how the future will vanish, Pokémon included."

Instantly, shivers crawl down my spine.

"You were running from the Void just now, then?! How close are we to the edge?" "Hundreds of miles out." "Shouldn't it be easy to avoid?" "No. The Void summons monster-like creatures made of the stuff that we call Voidlings."

Voidlings? Monsters of the Void?

I ask my next question. "So... how do you plan on escaping it?" His mouth sets into a grim smile- then, he responds, "I'm sure you don't remember, but there was this tale that we'd researched into for a bit. You know, before you disappeared from this world and were an Eevee."

Right, my memories. I should probably plan on trying to get those back, especially since Absol seems to dwell on them very often.

But first, I need to survive the future.

"Well? You just gonna leave me hanging there?"

My blunt, direct approach to his answer causes him to look up. "I want to live as bad as you do."

An image of Ash with his hand outstretched fades into view.

I reach out to it,

but it disappears.

"There's someone I want to see again."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sorry this chapter was bad :(

I'm in Canada currently and have no data, so the only time I can work on this is in the hotel and with wifi.

Sorry again for the delay!

~ TheDreamRider