Chapter 15

The next day, Lilibeth woke to the sounds of birds singing in bursts of melody. A breeze laced with the earthy scents of morning rain and green countryside gardens drifted through the open windows.

Birgit came in, bearing a silver tray of hot tea and golden puff pastries with egg cracked on top. They were seasoned with salt and pepper, topped with parsley. Lilibeth's mouth watered as the tray was set on her lap.

"It's been some difficult days for you, I'm sure," the faerie woman said as Lilibeth took a sip of tea—fresh peppermint and sweet black liquorice, no doubt imported at a great price.

"Why does the Woodland King not like the light?" Lilibeth asked, taking a bite of the crumbly puff pastry.

"He's just grown to prefer the dark."

Lilibeth huffed, spooning out the egg yolk inside the puff pastry with her fingers. Some of the yolk dripped onto the sheets, dampening them. "That's not the answer I'm looking for." She covered the stains with one hand. Even though the sheets were black, the yolk would stain and crust over.

Birgit sighed, her eyes lingering on Lilibeth's hand, which was covering up the egg yolk stains, before sliding back up. "What answer are you looking for?"

"An answer that isn't vague." Lilibeth dipped her finger in the egg yolk again. The bright yellow liquid once again dripped from her fingers to the bedsheets. Lilibeth shifted her left foot to cover the stains.

"When the human archers came, they killed his brother when the sun was still high in the sky. He then found solace in the dark, where he didn't have to see. In the light of day, he finds his past relived."

No wonder he chose a black, dark cave to live in. No wonder he never stepped foot into the library. This monster was human after all.

Lilibeth took another bite of the puff pastry, but egg yolk poured down the side and seeped into the sheets. She used her right foot to cover it up. Birgit's eyes narrowed, but if she'd seen the yolk fall, she didn't say anything.

"He should go outside someday," Lilibeth said. "To conquer your pain, you must first accept it."

"Instead of spouting depressing Llewellenar proverbs like that one, maybe you should actually help him fix himself."

Oh. Lilibeth's face fell.

"Excellent idea," she said, trying to swallow her pride, even though it caught in her throat. "Perhaps I will. Help him, that is."

Birgit's impossibly black eyes shone with some sort of forgotten light, and a smile—true and genuine and beautiful as a dove's wings, broke free on her face. "Well done, Lilibeth. Now off you go, now. I'll bring you some fresh clothes once the laundresses are done washing and sun-drying them."

"I, a Llewellenar girl, can roam around in my nightgown?" The Woodland King must've told Birgit about how restricted rules were for girls in this kingdom.

"Of course," Birgit said. "Now scurry on."

Lilibeth leapt from her bed, accidentally revealing the egg yolk stains.

"Lilibeth!" Birgit yelled, but the girl had already taken off.

It turned out that open windows and countryside garden-scented breezes were quite the rarity in the Woodland King's cave. Even during the day, there was no light.

Lilibeth scurried across the dark hallways on bare feet, wondering if the Woodland King had ordered the servants to open the windows and let in the sunlight just for her own comfort. She dismissed it as nothing. Maybe he just wanted to see how she'd react. It wasn't like he cared for her or anything. Right?