The Accident

A few days passed, and Bulma was still seething from the way Vegeta had treated her.  How dare he get close to her like that, lead her on, and then laugh about it?  She knew she was being ridiculous; all she had to do to get him out of her head was to ignore him.  It should be easy, since she felt nothing but anger towards him, right?

    "Yeah, right," she muttered to herself.  She didn't want to admit to herself, or anyone else for that matter, that she might actually care for his well-being.  After all, he was arrogant, self-centered, and a little hell bent on beating one of her best friends.  In short, not the sort of guy you'd want as a boyfriend.  So why was she so attracted to him?

    "Bulma, honey, don't look so sad," her mother piped.  "You'll never get a man with an attitude like that!  After all, you know Yamcha likes it more when you smile."

    "I don't care about him, Mother!" Bulma shouted.  "There are more guys than just him, you know!"

   Bulma had left the room in a huff after that, but as far as her mother was concerned, the matter was not close to being finished.  Mrs. Briefs fancied herself a happily married woman, and as such, wanted to see her daughter married as well.  The end result of that was her constantly "helping" Bulma figure out her love life.  She knew Yamcha loved her daughter, but also understood about the physical attraction to Vegeta, and tried, in her own fashion, to help Bulma pick one over the other.

    Bulma finally started figuring things out on her own the day the pod blew up....

    The day after Vegeta first tried working out in 300 times normal gravity, he noticed a peculiar scent in the air.  He wondered about it for a moment before shrugging it off.  The only thing he cared about was beating Kakkarot, and becoming the warrior he knew he was destined to become.  These were his thoughts as he accidentally blew up the chamber.  He was aware of pain, and darkness.  He was also aware of making it out of the rubble on his own, the woman, at his side, voice filled with concern as she tried giving him orders.  He stood for a moment, and collapsed as the world seemed to fall from under his feet.  The last thing he saw before passing out, were her eyes, blue sapphires, as deep as the ocean.

    Bulma had been frightened, seeing him hurt, but being too proud to admit it.  She finally saw him as being like her, full of pride, yet vulnerable.  She pulled herself together, and yelled at Yamcha to get her father.  Dr. Briefs had come running, bringing medical capsules with him, one containing a stretcher.  With the help of Yamcha and her father, the three were able to get the Saiyan loaded up onto the transport, and into the main house.  

   Once inside, Bulma insisted they move him to her room, as it was closer to get to than the one Vegeta was staying in.  Truthfully, though, it was so she could monitor him herself.  Her mother suggested they take him to a hospital, but Bulma insisted they keep him where he was, and that they call the family physician instead to make a house call.

  "We provide all the equipment he uses at his office, and I'm sure we've got stuff here he can use," she told her father.  "Besides, do you really want him waking up in a hospital?  The poor staff wouldn't know what to do!"

  Her father eventually consented, seeing the wisdom in her words.  In the end, it turned out Vegeta had a few bruised ribs, and had sustained some superficial cuts; nothing that needed stitches, but they did have to be covered.  She worried about him as he lay in her bed, groaning in his sleep.  He kept saying the name he called Goku, and she wondered if he was having a nightmare.  She wished there was something she could do, but all there was for her to do was wait.