Ch. Two

"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

-John F. Kennedy.

                                                                              ***

When Galloway woke up the next day, it was still dark. Turning over, she looked at her alarm clock to find that it was only four in the morning. She rolled over with a groan and closed her eyes.

They popped back open when she remembered Sirius. He would hopefully still be asleep. Getting out of bed, she got dressed as silently as possible, knowing how sensitive a Hellhound's hearing was. She wasn't really in the mood to explain where she was going or what she was doing before she'd even had coffee yet.

Anyway, it would be easier all around if Sirius didn't know what she was planning.

With her shoes in hand, Galloway listened at the door before cracking it open to peer into the living room. Sirius wasn't in there and his door was still closed, so she tiptoed her way across the room, silently cursing when the floorboards creaked.

She paused, holding her breath, but nothing stirred. Galloway opened the front door and, after shutting it gently behind her, crept down the hall and a single flight of stairs. At the main door of her building, she paused to shove her feet into her boots before running to the car.

Galloway turned the key, silently blessing the quiet purr of her Audi's engine. She pulled away slowly, then hit the gas when she was on the open road, breathing a sigh of relief.

Technically speaking, Galloway knew she wasn't really supposed to go anywhere without Sirius, especially since Theron had specifically sent him home with her. She knew there was no way she was going to get back before Sirius woke up, but she'd deal with that later.

Right now, she was only interested in giving herself a solution before Sirius became a problem.

Galloway made the usually two-hour drive in a little over an hour. There was no traffic and she wasn't really worried about the possibility of a ticket either.

She put the car in park, then jogged up the short walkway to a small, two-story clapboard house painted a dark grey. Cute little picture windows, edged in a creamy white, glowed with a warm, cheerful light. It was almost like the building itself was happy to see her.

The small yard in front of it was lush, colored a rich blue with hints of green in the early morning light. Walking slowly along the meandering flagstone path, she admired the opulent blooms, knowing each and every plant had a purpose greater than simply looking pretty. Their sweet scent tickled at her nose—mint and lavender, lilac and apple blossoms.

She stepped onto the tiny porch, looking at all the different wind chimes. Her favorites were the ones made of copper and white quartz. Galloway turned, then jumped when the red door opened before she even got the chance to knock.

With a frown, Galloway asked, "So what? You're a psychic now too?"

The man in front of her grinned, showing perfect white teeth in a beautiful smile. His rich, coffee-colored eyes sparked with amusement. "If anyone else asked, I would say yes. But since it's you, I actually just heard your car."

She laughed and gave him a hug. "Hi, Logan. How are you?"

"I'm fine, doll. But are you okay?" Logan pulled back, a frown marring the smooth brown skin of his forehead. "You smell like a dog."

Galloway ran a hand through her loose blonde hair. "That's actually why I'm here, Lo. I need to ask you something."

He stepped to the side, letting her in. She brushed by him, going right past the living room where Logan saw clients. She grinned at the small table covered in a blue velvet cloth and the crystal ball.