Ch. Thirty-Eight

"The struggle goes on. To be alive and to be human is to struggle for what is right and against what is not."

Ronald Reagan

                                                                                 ***

It was more like a day and a half to get to Devils Lake. Caleb seemed to have less respect for speed limits than even she did. She leaned against the door sleepily, an only slightly uncomfortable silence filling the cab.

Caleb had grilled her about the Hell-gate legend, asking things she hadn't even thought of. He'd learned not to ask about Sirius—possibly from how she had torn into Rhys over the phone. Instead, he'd turned to asking about her once her knowledge had been exhausted.

She wasn't sure she liked that topic all that much, either. But Caleb was persistent and mule-stubborn. Once something caught his interest, he was difficult to put off.

Galloway was relieved when Devils Lake finally came into view.

Caleb whistled, looking around as they pulled into the windblown town. "This place doesn't look like it's changed in the last fifty years."

He drove until they reached the center of the small prairie town and parked in front of a decent motel. He turned to stare at her for a long moment. "Would you believe I don't have enough cash on me for two rooms?" he asked.

She rolled her eyes, then frowned. After a moment's hesitation, she said, "I might."

"I kind of feel like there's a conditional statement coming."

"If we're going to go wendigo hunting, you're giving me a gun." She smiled at his instant balk. "Caleb, there is no way I'm running around in the dark without any kind of weapon. What do you think I'm going to do? Put two in your back as soon as you turn around?"

"Gun won't kill a wendigo," he hedged.

"Then you shouldn't have any trouble giving me yours." She grinned in triumph as soon as he sighed.

Getting out of the truck, he said, "There is one thing that's bothering me here."

"Just one?" she asked dryly, stretching with a groan. They walked into the motel and she watched as he paid for their room.

He hadn't been lying.

As soon as they got into the empty elevator, he said, "What's a wendigo doing here?"

"What do you mean?" She frowned at the doors, wanting them to open. She wasn't very fond of elevators.

Caleb gestured around, the movement encompassing the town and its surroundings. "There aren't any forests here. I thought wendigos liked heavily wooded areas?"

Galloway frowned as she thought about that, stepping quickly out of the elevator as soon as it stopped. Chewing thoughtfully on her lip, she waited as he unlocked their door. "Territory?" she finally offered.

"Sorry?"

"It's just like you said. You've seen like six wendigos this year. And those are just the ones you've heard about. There could be dozens more if monsters really are cropping up like you said they are. Maybe it's just a space thing."

Caleb sat at the small table near the front of the room, staring at the abstract scarlet, cream and deep gold patterned carpet. He pursed his lips before he tilted his head. "Maybe. I mean, I don't have a better guess, so why not?"

"Your faith is overwhelming," she said wryly, staring out the window, down onto the moderately busy main street.

"You haven't really earned any."