Ch. Thirteen

"Sleep doesn't help if it is your soul that is tired."

-Arabian Proverb

                                                                                 ***

She was way too pretty, and Galloway was trying way too hard to not notice or care. It did help when she opened the door and gave Sirius a death glare impressive even by Galloway's standards, though. The woman's pupils shrank to vertical slits as she glared, her reddish-brown eyes uncanny in her otherwise human face.

"What are you doing here, dog boy?" the kitsune growled, and Galloway stifled a laugh.

Sirius put a hand dramatically over his heart and affected a wounded expression. "Now that hurts, Misa."

"Don't you 'Misa' me, you son of a bitch," she snarled, her claws growing rapidly. Galloway couldn't help but be impressed by the stunning amount of venom wrapped up in such a cute little package.

Sirius took half a step back, his hands raised. He cleared his throat and said, "Sorry, Misaki. Um, I was just in the neighborhood. Thought I'd stop by."

Misaki shook back her mane of shiny black hair and laughed mockingly, leaning against the door frame. Her fox eyes watched them both sharply. "What do you want, Sirius? You only come if you need something, so what is it this time?" Abruptly, she stood up straight. "I'm not stealing anything for you again. You know you got me kicked out of my shrine?"

"Only spiritually," Sirius defended. "You haven't physically been in Japan in over a thousand years! You don't even miss that shrine!"

The fox spirit shrugged, her full, pink lips still turned down in a frown. "Doesn't mean I have to like you anymore."

"Yeah well, if we're both being honest, darling, neither of us kept the other around for their personality. You didn't like me before either, so what does that matter?" Sirius said, and Galloway rolled her eyes, trying to ignore the miniature twinge of jealousy in her chest. 

She leaned back against the wall opposite the door, wondering if they were going to get any sleep tonight, or if they should just give it up as a lost cause. Looking at her watch, Galloway found it to be close to three in the morning and stifled a yawn. 

She looked up when Misaki asked, "Who's she?"

Sirius cleared his throat again. "Misaki, let me introduce Galloway. She's my Collector."

Misaki raised an elegant eyebrow. "What happened to the last one?"

"He killed him," Galloway said, her voice bored.

"Oh?" Misaki turned back to Sirius and he just shrugged. The kitsune turned a critical eye on Galloway, who just stared back at her blankly, trying not to pay attention to her slim, lovely figure or the pale flawlessness of her skin. Misaki shook her head sadly. "You have my condolences."

Galloway's mouth turned up into a reluctant half smile and Sirius growled, which made Misaki laugh. The sound was throaty and rough—surprising when compared to her delicate features.

Sirius, now looking thoroughly affronted, huffed. "We need a place to stay tonight if you don't mind, Misaki."

"I do mind!" she snapped before sighing and opening her door all the way.

He grinned but before he could say anything, Misaki pointed at Galloway and said, "She's the only reason I let you in, mutt."

"Sour grapes," Sirius muttered, edging just a little closer to Galloway when Misaki glared at him.