four

"Clary?" The redheads ears picked up as she heard her name being called and she turned to see her brother standing on the other end of the top deck.

He had only been gone a few weeks and already Clary could see the change in him. His long curls had been clipped and his hair was now short and well tamed - Valentine demanded the boy to look like the soldier he was. His eyes were dull, dark circles encasing them but still he managed to worry about her and not himself.

"What are you doing here? You need to leave now before Valentine sees you." He ordered, reaching his sister in a matter of strides. "Dot, you need to take her down to the lower deck, I'll find a way to get her out of here."

"Casey stop." Clary interupted and once again her older brothers gaze snapped to her. "Valentine knows I'm here he -"

"Ah Casey, Clarissa just in time." Valentine addressed them and the two turned to see the scene beside them. Jace had changed a werewolf to the railings - Gretel was that her name? Casey pondered. But it didn't matter, the girl had to be saved, Casey wouldn't let Jace make this mistake.

"Jonathan you will free her immediately." Casey demanded and Clary was shocked to hear both the authority in Casey's voice and how he addressed Jace as Jonathan.

"She murdered a mundane." Valentine piped in and Casey shot him daggers. "And how many have you killed? Does that mean I get to drag a seraph blade across your throat? Because nothing would give me more pleasure." Casey snarled and Clary's jaw slacked at the violent words her brother spoke, and how he meant them.

"Besides the point Casey. A wolf will say anything to get free but she cannot change what she is. You let her live son and she will kill again and again and again." Valentine chanted, his words directed at both his sons.

"It's not about what she is, it's who she is. She's a person, part of Luke's pack. She had done nothing wrong. She's basically a kid for Godsake." Casey shouted, throwing his hands in the air.

"Your faith and compassion is admirable my son, but it must be done. Clarissa, maybe you can convince your brother to finish what he started?"

"Jace." Clary began, stepping forward so she fell in line with Casey. "Everything I said earlier, I was under a spell. Run."

Jace snatched Clary's hand and the two began to run, but were surrounded in moments.

"Jonathan, there's nowhere to run." Valentine laughed, looking smug. But Jace didn't pay attention, he fought Valentine's men and as Casey watched his brother stagger he ran to Dot.

"Please." He begged, knowing what he asked was a lot. "Break the barrier, help them go home."

Dot looked sad as she spoke. "I can't Casey, I don't have enough power." Casey began to panic as he heard Valentine nearing. "Channel me." He offered. "You can do that right?"

"Yes but Casey if I do you can't go. You won't be able to go through with them." She warned and Casey nodded. "I know, please just help them." He begged, holding out his hand and Dot took it, interlocking their fingers. Turning, Dot flung her arm outwards and the barrier snapped just as Clary and Jace reached them.

"Casey -" Clary began, seeing how her brother would have no chance of leaving.

"We've no time to argue." Casey butted in, seeing his father in the corner of his eye along with seeing the crimson blood dripping down Jace's nose as he clung to Clary like a crutch. "Get out of here both of you." Clary hesitated and Casey shouted 'now.' The two ran forward and lept from the edge of the boat, the barrier snapping back in place once they were through.

"Thank you." Casey told Dot as Valentine reached them and stared at Dot and Casey, fury filling him. "Take the warlock down below, and Casey you're coming with me." Two of Valentine's men stepped forward and restrained the two, but Casey only smiled as he was forced to follow Valentine to the room deepest in the boat, like a hidden cellar.

He knew what Valentine would do to him, but he didn't care. His Jonathan and Clary were safe and that was all that mattered.

"Oh Casey I always thought you were the smart one." Valentine tutted as he chained Casey up just as he had done with Jace. Casey didn't both to fight back, he knew if Valentine was preoccupied by punishing his raven haired son, it would buy Jonathan and Clary some time to figure things out.

"But you've went and gone against your father, and now I have to punish you."

"You say this like I'm five years old and you're sending me to sit in the corner." Casey scoffed and his father sighed. "Always with the sarcasm Casey, I'm disappointed."

"So what are you going to do now?" He snorted. "Torture me?"

Valentine looked Casey straight in the eyes. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul, but Casey found himself staring into soulless eyes. How could he have been so foolish to ever trust this man, to ever think he was worth saving.

"Yes." Valentine smiled. "That's exactly what I'm going to do." He reached into his back pocket and pulled out Casey's stele... his stele. "Let's get started shall we?"

-
a/n
short chapter but this is important to Caseys storyline