nine

Alec bounded through the halls of the institute as fast as he could, wanting to get this information out as quickly as possible. He had called Isabelle on his way home, demanding she call a meeting that consisted of him, herself, Jace, Simon, Clary and Magnus Bane. He didn't tell her the details, there was no time for that, he only told her it was about Casey and that he was urgent. He couldn't risk telling his parents or any member of the Clave in that sense purely because he couldn't trust anyone, expect those whom he knew cared about Casey. Turning the final corner, he spotted his sister standing alone in the middle of the room."Where are the others?" He hissed, his eyes darting around this room. Silently, Isabelle stepped towards her brother and harshly grabbed his elbow, tugging him downwards.

"You might want to lower your voice." She advised, arching an eyebrow. "These are dangerous times, you should know better than to expect me to host a meeting about the Clave's most wanted in the middle of the institute. We're all meeting at Magnus Bane's apartment. We are immensely lucky he likes Casey. He's a hard man to get a hold of."

"Casey has that effect on people." He grinned momentarily, before an imagine of the present day Casey flashed into his mind. "Let's go."

---

"This had better be important Alexander." Magnus cooed as he flung himself down on a plush royal blue chair. "I do so hate house guests when I'm so unprepared."

"This is unprepared?" Simon chuckled, pointing as the extravagant platter of food that sat in the middle of the room on a luxurious glass table. "I would've loved that cheese and cracker combo too." He pouted. "Ah yes, apologises I don't have any O Neg on hand Mr Lewis." Magnus replied, using magic to stir his drink.

"Could we maybe get back to the topic of my brother please?" Clary sighed, her head in her hands, while Jace stood by fighting the urge to comfort her.

"Right yes of course. Alexander, if you would be so kind." Magnus smiled, gesturing to Alec. Leaning forward, Alec rested his elbows on his knees and began to speak. "I saw Casey today."

"You what?" Clary exclaimed, jumping out of her chair. Magnus merely waved his hand and the redhead was seated once more. "Manners." He chastised, before turning back to Alec as Clary scowled. "I saw Casey today." Alec repeated, sighing. "But he was so different. It was like he was being controlled."

"Controlled?" Magnus repeated, deep in thought at what could be the cause. "Go on."

"I tried to tell him that he had a choice, he could come home. That he had a choice to not kill Hodge. He argued he didn't and when I tried to get him to explain what he meant he started screaming and clutching his head. And then he just stopped."

"What do you mean he just stopped?" Jace inquired from across the room, his facial expression a mixture of confusion and pain.

"Exactly what I just said." Alec hissed, becoming self aware of his anger when Isabelle placed a hand on his shoulder. "It was like someone hit a reset button."

"Did Casey by any chance have an amulet on him?" Magnus drawled, rising from his chair slowly. Alec's brows furrowed as he watched the warlock sauntered to the window and stared out onto the street, a troubled look upon his face. "Yeah." Alec said hesitantly, confusion appearing to be a shared emotion within the room. "How did you know that?"

All eyes were on Magnus Bane as he turned to face the shadowhunters - and single vampire - that sat before him. Suddenly all trace of humour and lightheartedness was wiped from his expression, instead being replaced with worry and a hint of fear. "I think I know what we're dealing with. And it's not good."