Chapter 4

»»-—1492, Yorkshire, England—-««

The days passed by without me even noticing, somehow time passed faster whenever I was with the Mikaelsons.

Nik usually spent the evenings in his studio, painting, and he would always let me stay with him, reading or writing or simply watching him work. I would observe mesmerized how he created whatever came to his mind, and I silently envied how talented he was. Sometimes I wished I had such a talent. Elijah, when he wasn't with Katerina, was always attending businesses, and Rebekah rejoiced on wasting her time with human nobles. She liked the attention the boys would pay her and she would fall in love with any of them easily.

Right now she was fancying a gentleman called Jonathan Grimes. He was tall, with dark hair and brown eyes, he looked at everyone over his shoulder and he was a proud and arrogant man. But he would sweet-talk Rebekah at every chance he'd get so she loved him nonetheless. Nik, on the other hand, did not like him one bit. When Rebekah invited him to tea over the week, Nik had implied that he would rip his liver to see if that would take away his arrogance too, which made Rebekah leave the room in a childish fit. But when I had asked him not to, he promised me he wouldn't. I knew I could take advantage and ask favours of him as he was in the best of moods, which was understandable given that soon enough his curse would be broken.

The evening of the ball came and the mansion bursted with life: servants were preparing the food and the ballroom, while I hid in my room. I was still trying to decide whether I wanted to attend the ball or if it was better to stay here, had someone sent to my room to feed and call it a night.

But then a knock came from my door. I stopped my pacing and turned around, facing Nik, who was under my doorframe, hands on his back, a smirk on his face. He came in with two servants behind him, they were holding a small wooden ark and had strange looks on their faces. Their eyes seemed glassy and they weren't happy nor sad, but civil, as civil as they come. They were clearly compelled.

"Hello," I greeted Nik, straightening my dress nervously. He looked at me with a smug grin on his face.

"You ought to get ready," he said, pacing the room slowly and looking at the painting that hung from the walls. He had painted it, it was a portrait of me. "The guests will arrive soon."

"Yes. About that," I started, catching his attention, my smooth English accent flowing out of my lips, "I'm not sure if this is such a great idea, Nik." I walked over to where he was standing and confessed a little embarrassed, "I'm not sure I am ready to bring so much attention over me."

He smiled an empathetic smile, a side of him that he hardly ever showed. "Now, sweet sister. It will all be alright, I promise," he said softly, resting his hands on my shoulders. "And," he smiled smugly and made a signal to the servants, who took some steps towards me, "I brought you a gift."

I watched as they opened the wooden chest and drew out a beautiful dark blue dress, my mouth went wide open and my eyebrows shot up. I walked over to them and took the dress, caressing the soft fabric, I put it in front of me to see if it would fit. I looked at Nik, seeking some kind of approval.

"Perfect," he said nodding once, making me flash a smile.

"Now, get dressed. You have a ball to attend," he said softly.

Maybe Rebekah and Niklaus were right. Maybe this would be a great party.

»»————  - - -  ————««

At the ball, the gentlemen weren't able to take their eyes off of me. The effect I had caused when Elijah had presented me as one of their own was palpable, everyone wanted my good favour. I loved it, I had an infinite number of dance partners and I had found more than one neck to try between them. The humans that surrounded us were searching for what only a couple of other guests had obtained: immortality. If a human wanted to be a part of our sire lines, they had to earn it.