Chapter 12

»»—1915, New Orleans, USA—««

"You are not giving them previous notice?" Björn said.

"I can't exactly write them a letter saying 'Dear Mikaelson family, I am deeply ashamed of how I treated you all last we were together. Let's meet. I must tell you all about the new family member that wants to murder us all.'".

Björn grinned. "I don't see why not," he said.

I frowned just thinking about it. "It's been two hundred years," I explained, "It would feel odd."

We were already here, we could stop at a hotel and make a phone call before going to the compound where they lived, but I wanted to get it over with. I just hoped Freya had been kind enough to tell them about how we had helped her. We needed them to trust us, especially now that we had a very pissed off witch at our tail. We had managed to lose Dahlia, but if she had found us once, she would do it again, and I needed the Mikaelsons to defeat her. If we made peace along the way, it would be nice too. The driver looked at us over his shoulder and frowned but shook his head, deciding to ignore our strange conversation.

"It's too late anyway. I think I rather surprise them," I said, clearly unsure.

He smirked. "You seem nervous."

I kept fiddling with the ring Björn had made me to walk under the sun. The side effect of leaving a country were sun wasn't out all the time was that I soon found out I couldn't walk under the sun. My pendant must have protected me all this time, without it we had to improvise a new way to protect me, so Björn had quickly found a silver band with a small turquoise and spelled it for me.

"Well, the last time he saw me, I was running off into the distance to meet their father, who was Hel-bent on killing them all," I explained, "And then I disappeared for two centuries, so... Maybe they even think I'm dead!" I spared him a glance to check that he was still grinning.

"They know you're alive, Beyla," he reminded me.

Elijah certainly did. He had been the one to send Katerina my way after that incident. And if he knew, the rest probably did too. But I certainly hadn't see any of them.

"I bet he wishes I was, though," I said.

"That might be true."

"Gee, thank you, dear brother. I don't know what I would do without your encouraging commentary."

He grinned and let me continue.

"I'm excited to see them. I've missed them," I said, "But, at the same time, I'm terrified to face them."

We got to the compound and paid the driver, who couldn't wait to get away from us, crazy tourists.

We walked inside and to my surprise, the compound seemed empty.

"Hello?" I called for anyone.

The dining crystal door opened widely and out came a very tired guy. He was an absurdly handsome black young man. He must have been twenty and something. He was wearing a buttoned-up shirt but was completely unbuttoned, so I was shamelessly staring at his abs. He was rubbing his eyes and only noticed us when I called him. At the sight of a handsome man, I thought teasing and undermining were the best courses of action. It was no wonder I had never dated much.

"Stable-boy," I said, "Where are the Mikaelsons?"

He looked around confused.

"Excuse me?" he said.

"You're excused," my brother said, "Now answer, please."

He didn't move, which I thought was worthy of getting him fired, and I wondered why Niklaus hadn't fired him yet. He had never been a calmed employer. He wouldn't approve of this relaxed attitude of the boy unless he liked him. It was certain he wasn't Rebekah's, Nik would have ate him.