The Beginning?

I suppose I should start from where it all began. That is, after all, where stories generally start, for the sake of the reader. I suppose that role will be filled by you. As for the "Protagonist," well... I'll let you decide who the supposed hero of this story is. And the villain? Well, if you listen to those here, that role will be filled by me.

My name isn't important, but you can call me Cay. That will be how I refer to myself and how others used to refer to me. Oh, don't get me wrong. They called me other things too, especially towards the end, but that isn't important now. What's important is the people around me.

The world I live in is... overly naive. People think that they can determine a person's life and moral stance simply by observing their abilities. They really couldn't be more wrong.

Like I said before, everyone is born with some ability or another. Some may think that is amazing, but what I find even more amazing is that there is very little history of a true villain emerging. Yes, there are still petty crimes and the occasional murderer. But a true super villain? Very very few. Even Demons with powers that should be devastating have found ways to become helpful for those around them. Even with this, we are continuously put into the role of a villain in news, stories, and rumors. One of the most interesting Demons I found is some girl, a few years ago, whose power was to kill whatever she touched. Unlike most people, she couldn't control her powers. Luckily for her, it was concentrated into her hands, so as long as she wore gloves, she was safe to do as she pleased. So, naturally, she became a super villain bent on the destruction of humanity, right?

Of course not. Instead, she began to work for the wildlife industry, using her ability to kill non-native plants choking out the natural flora. Personally, I thought she could have at least worked in a prison to get rid of those sentenced with the death penalty, but apparently she hated the idea of killing something that wasn't a plant. I believe she was a vegan as well, so at least she was consistent. Still. A complete waste of ability if people were only going to remember her as a Demon who had the capability of killing with a single touch.

I suppose this is where I introduce my backstory. My parents were a Demon and a Tracker; one could feed on the sanity and souls of those around them and the other could find anything or anyone, dead or alive. This was Cennend and Dad. I'm not entirely certain why Cenn chose that name instead of a different version of Dad or the like, but he was Cenn and I had always known him as that. They were strange, overly affectionate, and Cenn was often more childish than I was. I often heard Dad calling out "Alya" (Cenn's real name) late at night when Cenn had decided to go into the attic and hide while he searched for something or another. In truth, I don't know much about my parents before their life as exactly that - my parents. I have a feeling they hadn't had the easiest lives, but Dad certainly made sure that no one would ever come near either myself or Cenn. Of course, Cenn was terrifying when he was angry, but I had never seen that anger directed at myself or Dad. It was rare, and I was glad of it.

All together, I had a pretty great childhood. My parents were perfect for the most part, if you don't include how Cennend would always be in Dad's lap, acting like a little kid, and they couldn't seem to keep their hand off of each other. Still, there are worse things than having parents who are madly in love.

They are actually the reason I didn't comprehend I was different when I was younger. Cenn was a Demon like me, while Dad was a Tracker. It didn't seem strange that they were together or in love. For me, it seemed perfectly natural for them to be together. It wasn't until I was enrolled in high school that I realized I was different. Most kids developed their powers pretty young, but it was sometimes difficult to tell what a person was until they had reached their teenage years. A large variety of people wore gloves to prevent their still maturing powers from malfunctioning and affecting the things around them, so I wasn't seen as odd for that.