Conversations and Revelations

You know that look teenage boys get when they have to talk to a parent, and they know they're in trouble? Like, they turn red, get super fidgety, and can't hold eye contact with anyone for longer than a few seconds.

Novak looked like one of these boys if they had a vibrator shoved into their ass that their dick of a friend was controlling.

I offered to get drinks for everyone just so I didn't burst into hysterical laughter in front of him. I mean, normally, I wouldn't have cared, but he seemed to be having a hard enough time as it was. I did, however, collapse into a puddle of tears and laughter as soon as I was out of earshot. It was just too goddamned funny.

Cenn and Dad were clearly having fun too, but damn. They were grilling the poor boy, but they were purposely asking harmless questions that sounded serious. How did he like school? Did he mind them asking what his ability was? He was in Drama? What did he do?

By the time I had finally calmed down enough to join them in the living room with the drinks, they had eased up on him. "So," Cenn said, pulling his legs up underneath him, "Cay hasn't told us much about you. Why is that?"

I stepped in, worried the poor boy's head would explode. "We officially met yesterday. We'd known about each other for a while, but he stepped in and helped when I had a mishap with a needle. I guess fast friends and all that."

Novak sent me a grateful look, his hands trembling as he reached for the glass I was handing him. "You know, Novak," Dad said, leaning back in his seat and crossing his legs, "we're not going to do anything. To be honest, we were just surprised Cay had brought home a friend. They haven't done that since second grade."

Cenn nodded, snuggling up to Dad's side. "We're honestly a little relieved. The others... let's just say they focus a little too much on things that shouldn't matter. You're a nice boy." He smiled, his whole demeanor softening. For once, my parents didn't look like the terrifying couple that could track a person down and rip their soul from their still-screaming body. They were just a nice couple that was a little too comfortable showing affection in front of others. It was strange to see them acting like this in front of someone who wasn't family or a potential victim, but it was nice.

Already, Novak's nerves were beginning to unwind. "I understand what you mean. I've seen how the people at school treat Cay, and... Well, I just... I didn't like it. I figured that someone who could take all of that on their own must be a pretty fantastic person. And... if I can help someone so great... then I'll do whatever it takes."

Damnit. That lightheaded feeling was back. Cenn smirked at the blush, raising an eyebrow that Novak hadn't noticed, but I'd be damned if I thought Dad hadn't. Why was he saying something like that? Hadn't he just talked to me because he hit me with the curtain? Continued talking to me out of obligation?

"Of course," He continued, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly, "We did have an awkward first meeting. I was pulling open the curtains when they swung too far and knocked Cay over. I mean, it gave me an excuse to talk to them, but I felt so bad. And then there was the whole needle thing. I was just relieved I could help." He sighed, glancing over at me. "I don't want anyone to hurt Cay..."

Cenn snorted, glancing at me. "You knocked Cay down with a curtain?" He glanced up at Dad, his eyes going a little dreamy. "Kinda reminds me of how we first met..."

Dad let out a laugh, pulling Cenn closer. "It's a little different, my love. Theirs is a tad more... tame..."

Novak tilted his head slightly, giving him the look of a confused dog. "How...?"

I pulled my knees up to my chest, grinning. "I actually know this story! Dad had been hired to find Cenn, and he had found him in the alley that he walked through to get to Uncle Wit's house. Cenn had apparently tried to fight him, but Dad caught him."