~11~ sorrow

(Lynn's POV)

The sight of my mother connected to machines almost makes me vomit. I lean onto Benjamin's side involuntarily out of pure shock and horror. He supports me with an arm and gently rubs my shoulder to try to comfort me.

"Is she gonna be okay?" I frantically ask a close by doctor.

The doctor turns to me with a grim and saddened expression. "She's in a coma and is currently on life support."

I run over to my mother's bedside and shake her shoulder. "Wake up, mommy, please." I wail, knowing to myself that she couldn't hear me.

"We're doing everything we can," the doctor says. "I'm going to have the ask you to move back to the lobby; we can't work with the room crowded. We'll let you know if anything changes."

I open my mouth to protest, but I quickly shut it. With slumped shoulders and a broken spirit, I follow Benjamin out of the room.

(Ben's POV)

As soon as I hear that Lynn's mother is in a coma, my heart sinks. That can only mean one thing; I have a job to do. And that job is something that will hurt Lynn so much. I fear that by doing my duty, my wings will turn jet black again and evil will overpower the real me.

I tell Lynn that I'll be right back and I fly to the room where Lynn's mom was in. You see, I am still an angel of death, despite my almost white wings. My job was to give people in comas the choice to live again or to go to the afterlife. If I despised the human, I wouldn't give them a choice. But I know I must be the one to give Lynn's mother the choice.

I am greeted to the sight of Lynn's mother laying motionless on a hospital bed. The machine hooked up to her is barely keeping her alive. I can see the impact of the car accident on her face, or what was left of it.

I kneel down and place my hand on her heart, closing my eyes as I enter her mind.

I stand tall, my wings spread out behind me, maintaining their almost white color. All around is swirling black. Lynn's mother blinks up at me. She trembles. "Am I dead?"

I shake my head. "Not yet, Rebecca. You're in a coma."

Rebecca stands up on shaky legs. "Y-you look just like Jackson, my husband and Lynn's father who died."

I don't know what to say. Lynn never said that I bore resemblance to her deceased father. I simply smile. "Lynn is a wonderful girl, I have been watching out for her."

Rebecca returns the smile and looks behind me. "I see the light."

I turn around to see a beam of light. A pang of sorrow hits me, knowing that Rebecca is about to die. It's strange, I didn't have any control over it; it's like it was meant to happen.

I walk up to Rebecca and kiss her forehead gently, allowing her to go into the light. "I'll take care of Lynn for you, I promise."

Rebecca nods and disappears into the beam of light. I linger for a while until I'm taken from inside Rebecca's mind back to the real world. The heart rate monitor has flatlined and Rebecca's chest no longer moves.

I hide my wings and make myself visible again. I find Lynn in the lobby waiting for me to return. Her eyes are dull, yet hopeful at the same time. "Any news about my mom?" She asks.

I scoop Lynn into my arms and hold her tight, gently rubbing her back. "She passed away."

I feel Lynn stiffen and squirm away from my grasp. Her eyes flame up at me. "And you didn't save her?"

I'm taken aback by her harshness. "I-"

"You're an angel, right? If you're so powerful, why couldn't you have healed her? You're still evil, aren't you?" She turns away and runs outside with her face in her hands.

I stand in shock, feeling saddened to think that Lynn blamed me for her mother's death. I couldn't do anything about it, I can't bring people back to life. With a quick flap, I soar into the air and back to my tree.