36. Aftermath

(One month later)

Alec Popovich is sentenced to ten months in prison for gang violence and assault!

Meanwhile, [F/N] [L/N] announces that she's playing the lead role in the new Cinderella Broadway show! Pictured here, out for dinner with her manager and the director Justin Williams.

(Yuri's POV)

"Hi Irina."

"Morning Yuri!"

I joined Mila in the ice rink and we stretched, before starting our warm ups.

"Alright everyone. Giorgi isn't here today, but that doesn't mean you can all have an easy ride. Let's train. Yuri, your olympic coach is coming tomorrow so you need to be in top form. Practice everyone!" Lilia went over and stood next to the rink.

A deal had been reached after the Grand Prix Final that Yakov and Lilia will train me here in St. Petersburg, and then next year, I'll be training with the olympic team in Moscow ready for the Olympics in February. I'd been practicing and training ever since last year when I was put on the team, and the last thing I wanted to do was let anyone down.

"Yuri, would you show these kids the triple spiral you do?" Yakov asked, as he stood in front a group of new kids.

"Sure," I walked over, slid onto the ice, and did my signature move in front of them. They all stared and awed in amazement.

"Thank you Yuri," Yakov said, before turning to the kids again. "Right, let's sort out your ice skates. "

* * *

(Your POV)

I stood outside the ice rink, debating whether or not it was a good idea. I wrapped my scarf tighter around my neck, and took a deep breath that created steam in the cool air. It was early september, and the weather was dropping fast.

I saw Irina working through the window. She's probably finishing work soon, since school in Russia begins soon. This might be my last chance to see her before I leave.

The other half of the rink was opening up for the public for the day, and there was a cue. I slowly slipped in the back, then, as I arrived, and turned around, I heard her gasp.

"[F/N]! Oh my god, it's been ages!"

"I know!"

"I thought you'd left for America!"

"I'm leaving tonight. We got a later flight from here instead of Moscow so I could come up here to see you!"

Her face lit up, then she checked the time on her watch.

"I finish in an hour. Let's go and catch up!"

"That would be great," I started, then averted my eyes to the door that lead into the ice rink. As Irina went into the back staff room to get something, I rushed towards the door.

As I quietly walked in, I squinted to look through the mesh barrier surrounding the rink, and my heart fluttered as I saw him. There he was, showing a young boy a complex move he could do. It looked so effortless and amazing. I watched for what felt like hours, but in reality was only a couple of seconds.

He hadn't noticed me yet, and I turned around and saw a new cabinet on the wall, full of trophies and medals, most of which had his name engraved on them.

A group of schoolchildren skated over from the other side of the rink to watch Yuri as he and his friend Mila practiced some moves. Everyone was watching him. The determination and concentration on his face was wonderful.

I walked closer, and watched him from a closer view. As he saw movement in front of him, he looked up, and saw me.

At first he looked shocked, but then his face lit up. I raised my hand in a small wave and he carried on with his routine.

Once the music finished, and as the big crowd dispersed around him, he turned back to see if I was still there and skated over to me. I stayed where I was, clutching onto my coat.

He stopped close to me.

"Hey," he started. I smiled.

"Hi Yuri. I was just dropping by."

"Oh, that's cool, yeah." He nodded.

There was a small silence in the air before I spoke. We hadn't seen each other in so long. "Umm, congratulations on winning the Grand Prix," I said, pointing at the medal and trophy cabinet. "Oh, and on the winning the court case. I'm really glad everything went well for you."

He nodded. "Thanks."

I didn't understand why the conversation was so awkward, considering I had millions of questions circulating through my head. It seemed Yuri felt the same way.

Yuri looked at the big shoulder bag I had dangling by my leg, and raised an eyebrow.

"You're leaving?" He sounded upset, dissapointed almost. Maybe that's just how I wanted him to feel.

"Yeah. My work here is done. I'm going home tonight."

"Oh."

I nodded. The silence between us was uncomfortable.

Yuri looked up, as if he was about to tell me something, but stopped, and looked away.

"So, I guess this is goodbye." The words were painful to say. Still, I was happy to be able to say goodbye properly.

"Yeah, umm, I guess it is."

His expression, as always, was difficult to read. I tried to get eye contact, but I couldn't.

"I'll see you maybe next year when the movie comes out. I might find a way of visiting," I tried.

He smiled softly. "Yeah, that would be nice."

"And obviously, I'll see you on TV at the Olympics."

He nodded. "Yeah. Same to you."

I took a deep breath then smiled. "I'll see you soon, Yuri. Take care of yourself."

He remained motionless on the ice. "And you."

I nodded, then turned to walk away.

"Wait, [F/N]?" Yuri called, biting his lip. As I turned around, he continued. "Umm, thanks for everything. What you said in that press conference a few weeks ago. It really meant a lot."

I smiled. "No problem. I meant everything. You're a good person, don't let anybody forget that." Then, without saying another word, I left, leaving his eyes to trail behind me.

Irina was waiting outside in the reception. Thankfully, she didn't notice my unhappy sigh. "Okay, let's go. I know this really good diner down the road."

"That's great," I started. "But there's just one more place I'd like to go first."