To Me - 21

"I will never be her, and I know that I can never take her place, but please know that I can always be a sister to you."

Ji-hye stops tying her shoelaces for a moment to glance at her right. She is surprised to hear these words all of a sudden, at such a random moment. Hayoung finishes tying her own laces before she gives Ji-hye an apologetic smile.

"I'm going first because Mom asked me to run some errands."

Ji-hye gives her a small nod as an acknowledgment. She stands up, puts her bag on her back, and begins to walk towards the main gate.

The past few weeks had been so tough on her. At first, it was all so hard to take in that she can't even sleep at night thinking about how everything came to be.

However, she thinks that a few good things came out with everything that has happened, and somehow, she is still grateful.

For starters, her relationship with her stepsister Hayoung has greatly improved. After the encounter at the cemetery on her birthday, Hayoung explained everything -- from how she became Youngmin's confidant, along with Sewoon who was the first one to know everything, to how Youngmin was so troubled with his feelings for Ji-hye that he almost wanted to leave and start over in another place again.

After all, it was only her and Donghyun kept in the dark. Hayoung told Ji-hye that Youngmin wanted to tell Donghyun before anyone else, but even before Youngmin can say anything to his best friend, the latter got so angry. Ji-hye also just found out from her stepsister that the two actually fought and that's how she realized why Donghyun was bruised that one day.

She heard that Donghyun also found out the truth from Sewoon the same day she was confronted with it. He was so devastated that he came straight to Youngmin's house after. It seems that they have patched things up then because even if they seem a little bit uncomfortable around each other now, at least they are finally speaking again.

Donghyun still accompanies her everywhere and she can't help but notice that he somehow grew fond of her. Although, she decides not to acknowledge anything yet because she doesn't want to complicate things any further.

Youngmin? Well, Youngmin has started to become civil with her again. She doesn't know, however, if she likes it better this way, because she thinks it would be so much easier for both of them if he was back to being mean to her again. At least that way, maybe she'd develop negative feelings towards him that she forgets how much the boy actually means to her?

After all, with so much pain from their past, they can't be, right?

She suddenly stops as she feels raindrops fall onto her head. She checks her bag for her umbrella, only to remember that she actually has to buy one over the weekend because hers went missing a day or two ago.

She slaps her left cheek before making a run for the nearest waiting shed.

But out of nowhere, someone grabs her hand and pulls her to move faster.

Just the feel of his hand is enough to make her feel warm all over so suddenly.

"Youngmin," she whispers softly as they take refuge under the same shed where they had their first encounter. Ji-hye, realizing this, chuckles at the coincidence.

Confused, Youngmin asks her. "Why? What's the matter?"

"I just noticed, it's funny because this is the same shed where you first spoke to me. Do you remember? That time when it was pouring so hard but I left Hayoung under the rain, and you saw everything so you stopped by here just to call me--"

"Heartless?" He finishes it off for her.

Ji-hye doesn't know where it comes from, the strength to speak to him so casually like this. With this thought, she becomes quiet. He does, too.

"I--" As an effort to break off the silence, they speak at the same time. Then, they both laugh.

"You first," Youngmin tells her.

"No, you go first," she insists.

"I really have nothing important to say, though," he says as he looks down on his shoes. "I just wanted to ask you how you are these days."

"I've been good! Nothing much has changed," she responds. "How about you?"

"I'm okay, too. Everything is still the same."

Are your feelings, too, perhaps? Ji-hye wonders to herself.

Suddenly, the atmosphere becomes so awkward. No one dares to speak for a good five minutes.

"So, what was it that you wanted to say a while ago?" Youngmin tries so hard to make himself sound confident, but his voice is slightly shaking and Ji-hye can hear it.

She looks to the sky, now painted a shade of grey so dark that it's hard to believe it's only five in the afternoon, and sighs deeply.

"I just wanted to say that it's amazing how some people love the sky, you know?" she says as she gives him a sad smile.

"No matter the time, whether it's sunrise or sunset. No matter the weather, may it be sunny or rainy. No matter its color, whether it's red, pink, orange, blue, purple, grey, or even midnight black."

She then turns to look at Youngmin. "There are people who are just always in love with the sky, and someday, Youngmin, someone would love you the same way."

She feels her eyes get hot. She gulps as she tries hard not to let her tears escape her eyes.

"I'm sorry, though. Because I can never be that someone for you."

But as she says this, her tears fall anyway.

And so do his.

---------------

hello

I've been out for a long time because I've gotten sick :c

sorry for the super delayed update (I know I promised last Wednesday and it is Saturday now TT TT)

but here it is anyway!

oh, and ONE MORE THING

I know I said there would be two or three chapters left, then I posted saying it would be three, but now I've finally decided on TWO CHAPTERS LEFT

and this is the first... so :(:

BTW, THANK YOU TENTENdisarapen FOR THE BEAUTIFUL COVER <3 I love it so much! TT TT