06 | PANIC ATTACK

VALERIE'S P.O.V

"Bruce, I need your help!" I yelled as I quickly searched the lab for Dr. Banner.

"Bruce! Where the hell are you?" I asked, frustrated as I looked around. All of the computers in the entire Helicarrier, had been searching endlessly for the location of Loki and the other agents while we waited for a hit. With the help of the spectrometers - at Bruce Banner's suggestion, it allowed for a speedier searching process.

Fury had called everyone in so that we would all be assigned a job. There were three stations: guard, search, and rescue. Rescue was anyone that wasn't on search or guard, and I was more than ecstatic to be on rescue. I was gonna be running with the big dogs. Even with the revelation of my medical status, I couldn't help being a little excited.

It was my first time ever having this important of a position on a mission, and especially with what Fury had told me still fresh in my mind, I had a lot of new things to consider. A lot of things to think about. Before I left, he had offered me a higher job position if I decided that I wanted to control my abilities, if they were even able to be controlled. I was shocked, and excited at having a chance to advance to a new title in this cooperation, because being Coulson's side kick wasn't where I planned to be for the rest of my career. Nonetheless, I felt strange. I felt like I no longer had any idea about who I truly was. How was any of this even possible?

It had been an eye-opening revelation.

"Valerie? What's wrong?" I spun around to find Bruce walking into the lab, a plate in his hands. He was wearing a purple button up shirt and a pair of tan colored slacks. Purple looked nice on him, I noted.

"Oh thank god! Bruce, I've been looking everywhere for you," I said, somehow finally feeling at ease. Well I didn't technically look everywhere; I only looked in the lab. Oh well at least I was implying that I had searched for him, because that part was true.

"I was in the cafeteria getting a snack," He informed me as he took a large bite out of his sandwich and chewed it up quickly before he walked around to one of his computers and typed something in.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he glanced over at me, a small tint in his eyes.

"Um, I have something I have to tell you," I said slowly before I took a seat on a nearby stool. He stopped what he was doing before he grabbed a stool as well and sat in front of me.

"What is it?" He asked cautiously before he took another bite. I gulped down a mouthful of air before I slowly tried forming the right words to say to him. How could I tell him?

"Okay, this is going to sound strange," I warned him and he urged me on with his eyes, now intrigued. I hesitantly continued.

"I went to speak with the Director, and he gave me these files. My medical files, actually and he explained to me that they were sent to Professor Charles Xavier due to my particularly unique cell structure. When I looked through the file," I opened the file and pulled out the photo of my blood cells and I handed it to Bruce,"This is what I found," I said as he turned over the photo and read the back.

Suddenly he furrowed his eyebrows and searched through the papers until he found the one about my X-gene.

"I've heard of this...and Fury's talked of it once or twice," He said slowly, "But I've never actually had any experience with things like this first hand," He stated as he glanced up at me.

He had a determined look on his face. It was as if he had forgotten all about his sandwich, as he stood up and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen from his work space.