07 | LIGHT TO THE DARKNESS

VALERIE'S P.O.V

"Agent Romanoff, drop me towards the back of the buildings. It would be best if we guard from every angle that we can. That way I'll be able to take out anyone he may have as backup. Since you'll be overhead and Steve will focus on getting Loki on the ground.

I'm sure he has Clint somewhere nearby. Once I check it out I'll give the all clear to go in from the side entrance of the building," I suggested as we were coming close to where Loki was located - Stuttgart, Germany. For God knows why. The only hit that S.H.I.E.L.D. had concerning this area was a few German scientist in the area. It could genuinely be any of them that he was after, but luckily, I had done my homework. After discovering Loki's location of interest, Fury sent over files pertaining to everything S.H.I.E.L.D. knew about the area.

In addition to being able to look over the files, I had also somehow managed to get myself under control, with the help of Steve, and as if it hadn't even happened, I was ready to get out onto the battlefield. This was my chance to prove myself, not only to myself, but to the entire team. This was my chance to see it through that Loki was stopped. The first time hadn't gone so well, so it was finally my chance to redeem myself. Despite my emotions striving to knock me off my game, I wasn't going to allow them to.

I was so focused that I hadn't even taken notice to the fact that I was referring to Natasha as Agent. Being in the presence of others conditioned me to maintain a level of respect, but in this scenario, it was pointless. The formality wasn't necessary. She glanced back at me, with a perfectly arched eyebrow raised, before she reverted her eyes back to the sky.

"Are you sure you're up for that job right now, Agent Devoe?" She asked, calling me by my professional name as well. I could hear the emotions she was expressing through her tone of voice. It was as close to a concerned big sister as it could be, in our predicament. Nonetheless, I appreciated her concern, but easily dismissed it.

"Yeah, I'm positive, Nat. I can handle this," I said as I got ready to get off of the jet, warming myself up for the jump. It was still a long way down so I had to be careful if I wanted to stick the landing just right. After grabbing a self deploying safety net and landing pad, I turned to face the Black Widow.

"Remember, you taught me practically everything I know," I smiled at her, reminiscing on the times we'd trained together. She always had my back, and as payment, I'd always have hers in return.

Luckily, it had been only a handful of instances. My involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. field work had been limited, but there was always something to learn in close combat. Initially, I wasn't very good at it. I was always too emotional, but with the help of the Black Widow herself, that quickly began to change. Natasha and I had first met back at S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ a few years ago, when I was just getting started. She had been passing through on a mission for Fury, concerning Tony Stark at the time.

After seeing me training alone in the training facility, she had offered quite a few of tips and tricks to remember during combat. Eventually she even went so far as to jump in - taking me down in one easy swipe of her leg all to teach me a lesson. From that day forward, she had coached me and guided me in fighting off opponents more than just physically. She taught me to think before my opponent could even think to think.

From her seat, she returned the smile without looking back at me. I knew that she was proud. She had always been proud of me for some reason, like I was her little sister, competing, and just barely missing her higher mark. Even though I'd never be able to match her skill set, she still praised me for my accomplishments. She had been one of my biggest supporters since the day I'd met her, and for that I would always be grateful.