Chapter 15, Danger, Will Robinson, Part 15

Chapter 15

Danger, Will Robinson

"I'm needed on the dive," Catrina repeated as she dug through a bureau drawer to find her thermal long underwear. "Only two OPP divers are available today. Without a certified safety diver, they'll have to delay the recovery until one of their other divers is available. That could take another day."

Behind her, Chett pulled on his jeans. "What happened?"

Stick to the facts. Don't think about the dead guy on the bottom of the lake. "Early this morning a dog walker discovered a man frozen stiff beside a big hole in the lake ice. He apparently was with another man, who is presumed drowned."

"You sure you're up for this?"

Underwear in hand, Catrina paused on her way to the shower. "I've kept up my SCUBA certification. I have the training and experience."

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."

"I won't have to go in the water." She crossed her fingers out of his sight. "The other divers will recover the body." They'll bring him up in a body bag. I'll never see his eyes.

Chett approached from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. "Why is this so important to you?"

In a clipped tone devoid of emotion, her cop voice, she responded, "Bob, the assistant manager at Tim Hortons, never returned home last night."

Chett stiffened. "My Mafia Massacre fan? He's just a kid."

"His mom Muriel and I curl in the same mixed league. She needs me. The family needs me. I have to go." Otherwise, how can I live with myself? I can't be responsible for making them wait longer than necessary.

He swiveled her to face him and wrapped her in a protective hug. "You don't have to do anything. Not after—"

"Last night? That was nothing new," she said bitterly into his chest. "I'm used to the nightmares."

"I'm not," muttered Chett into her hair.

Catrina pulled away. "What's that?"

"Nothing. I'm coming with you." His eyes flashed with determination.

She pushed him away. "Not necessary. I can do this."

"I believe you. I am also aware of how emotionally difficult a body retrieval will be, especially someone you know. We know," he amended.

"I should never have told you about the... that incident."

"Too late now." In a low voice he entreated, "Listen, I understand how frightened you are and I'm going to be there for you, figuratively holding your hand. Got that?"

"No doubt watching a recovery will be useful research for a guns and gangs screenwriter," the cynical cop in her snapped.

Chett blanched. "Low blow."

"Sorry. Do what you want. You'll have to follow in another vehicle." Frankly, a recovery dive scared her to the tips of her icy fingers and toes. Chett's presence would calm her, ground her, but he wasn't to know that.

She heard him say, "I have your back," as she slammed and locked the bathroom door.

***

After feeding Titan and taking him for a short walk, Catrina filled a thermos with strong coffee. Titan would be fine in his kennel. The mild temperatures promised to hold, although the Weather Network app on her phone warned of wet snow or freezing rain. Chett carried a duffel bag with her drysuit, mask and fins to her SUV.