X ~ Promises

{Hard Feelings/Loveless - Lorde}

...these days, we kiss, and we keep busy, the waves come after midnight, I call from underwater, why even try to get right?...

----

21st October

AVA

In the moments between sleeping and waking, there is an alternate reality. Within this other reality, covered in sleep dusted memories, I danced an endless dance among the trees in a Summer sunset. There was always arms hugging me close to warmth and a heartbeat so strong I felt lost within its heady embrace. My feet glided over the ground, almost floating as I could hear music drifting past my ears. My smile was wide, my heart full and begging to stay just a moment longer, to finally look on to the sight of the figure I danced with in the in-between. Every moment was like a lifetime and yet never enough. Every time my head would turn to see who it was, I was dancing with, it was too late. I could hear the noise of the City calling me back to a waking world, only feeling the warmth of my bedsheets. That morning was no different.

The grey skies of New York were in full force as I saw the rain steeped fire escape covered in water, droplets hanging on to the railings before falling to the concrete below. I looked over at my alarm, still sure I would have time to sleep some more, to rush back into the memory before it all became a gnawing, vague snapshot just out of reach. Still, the alarm could only give me five more minutes before its blaring would jolt me out of rest and into the world, a forceful grab around the arm, that I did not want to risk hearing.

The room felt cold, a brisk chill from my slightly open window billowing the curtains. I gave myself a moment before sitting upright and feeling goosebumps rising on my skin from the cold, as I rose to shut the window over and grab a blanket before gathering enough energy to brave leaving my cave of a room.

I could hear my brother rushing around, cursing under his breath as he looked around the apartment, presumably for his keys, as he was always leaving them lying around. He must have heard my footsteps on the wood creak of the floor as he knocked on the door, shouting a quick goodbye and a promise to be home in time for dinner.

I had a few hours to relax and get ready before my classes and my first rehearsal with Elliot. There was a slight hesitance when I thought of my partner's meeting with him, especially after the grilling I got from Bodhi about it all. I wasn't going to let my Brother's words about Elliot spoil what was a purely professional partnership, despite past circumstances. Things are different now, I reminded myself. I was still trying to get my head around it all, and I would handle everything at my own speed.

My hands wrapped around the doorknob and opened out into the long hallway leading towards the living room and the kitchen where I could smell the lingering aroma of pancakes. Before I could even hope of some leftovers, I saw the small pile covered in syrup sitting on the counter and a small note from Bodhi. A smile crept over my face as I saw his name, and the small smiley face in his squiggly handwriting.

"Ava," a voice breathed to the right of me, knocking the breath out of my lungs as I dropped the note to the floor, and turned to see Killian sitting, a worried look furrowed across his brows as he stared at me. At the sight of him, I found the air to fill my lungs again.

"Sorry, you... God, you scared me for a sec there," I laughed awkwardly. "What are you doing here?"

I still hadn't called Killian back after running out on his apartment in a panic, the guilt of seeing him sitting in my living room, therefore making me very uncomfortable.