Chapter 7, Changes in the Wind

Tamera Point Of View

"Rafe, This is so aggravating, we can't hire a cook, there's too much going on, that we would have to conceal and things are at a crucial point now"

"I know", Rafe said, but maybe," maybe we can keep one so we have more help here until, "

Rafe smoothly turned around and said, "Good Morning Derek, How are you this fine morning?" Tamera jumping turned around and sneered, "What the, ..." but, Rafe grabbed her arm and she stared at him and closed her mouth.

Hey, That's a great thing I thought, I wish I could do that lot her. She has a filthy mouth.

"Rafe, Tamera, Good Morning, I'm fine," I replied, silently cursing. I had hoped that he wouldn't notice me and that I could overhear some more but what I had already heard was interesting.

"What are they concealing, what's the crucial point now and who are they wanting to keep one of. Shit, more questions with no answers."

************

Meanwhile

************

Location: An isolated spot near Bell, Oklahoma (For this stories purpose, I will merely saying Bell, Oklahoma.

Kimberly wearily wiped the sweat and tears from her face, another dead baby, and a mother who probably wouldn't live. When were these assholes going to learn, that if they wanted live babies, they couldn't work the mother to death. These idiots have us out in 100 degree heat, attempting, to grow food for them.

All we had to use were tools from the 1800s. For Gods sake, they didn't even have a tractor here. They made the men, who weren't nearly beat to death, pull the plow through the dry baked dirt with little or no food and limited water. Not only that, but, the women were forced to carry water to irrigate the crops with old fashioned two bucket slings. If it wasn't, for the fact, that there were so many captives here to work the land, they would not be enough food here for 1 let alone this horde.

They are getting food from somewhere else, I can't imagine WHY they making us do all of this. Maybe, they just want to keep us worn down and too exhausted, to attempt an escape. These men were so brutal, all the women and girl children had been raped, with many turning up pregnant.

But they didn't confine their vile attention to the females. All the boys and slightly built men are also their victims. Any person, who showed any aggression or physical strength, were beaten to within an inch of death till all aggression and strength was beat out of them.

I've been fortunate, I haven't become pregnant, but it's only due, to the intervention of a couple of sympathetic guards, who found their mates among the captives. The only reason that I've been treated a little better is that, when I was snatched, I was on my way to a Mardi Gras party and was dressed like a nurse. Since I'm considered to be the only medical attention available, the other captives, try to keep me away, from the most aggressive guards.

But, there is a new guard, Bart, that has been trying to corner me and I've treated several of the young girls, who he has raped, and he has hurt them bad. He seems to like red-headed girls and I am definitely a red head.

I am just making myself crazy. I need to clean up everything and get back out to the fields. The new "Beta Simon" was very demanding and recently I have become his target. If he saw, that I had not weeded and mulched my section of the garden, there was no telling what he might do. Several of the captives had been whipped, because, he said they weren't working hard enough. And two of them had passed out from heat exhaustion.

I think I will die here. I've help out hope that the others would be rescued but it's been 2 years and no evidence that anyone is even looking for us. I know there's no one looking for me, my parents died when I was six and I was in a werewolf orphanage until I was abducted.

As I walked into my section of the garden, I was surprised to see it all neatly hoed. Turning around, I saw Lisa, Terri and Sally wink at me and I knew that my friends had covered for me so that I wouldn't be punished. We try to look out for each other and I think that's why we have lasted longer than any other captives here.

A shrill whistle caught everyone's attention and we promptly headed for the storage area to return our tools until tomorrow. They were very careful, to ensure that we kept nothing, that could be used against them.

But, we were clever and carefully built up a small cache of items that could be used as a weapon. Nothing that would be effective against a gun, but with surprise on our side, we could possibly take out a few of the guards.

As I passed thru, the checkpoint, one of the guards grabbed my arm and said, "Kim, we need you over here." He took me over to the area where they held new captives, and into a room I had never seen before.

As I stepped into the room, I saw a man, lying on a cot. For the first time, in over a year, I felt my wolf and the sight of him, made my wolf sing. He was my mate. Oh my God, he's hurt so bad. I rushed to his side and Simon, walked up behind me, "Take care of him he said, if he dies, so do you!"

Keeping my head bowed, I said, "Please Sir, I need clean water, fresh bandages and a clean area to care for him, to keep the infection down. I can smell that the infection is bad, can you get any antibodies? I reeled as a blow to my head, threw me across the man.

I had to keep Simon from knowing this man was my mate. I could tell he was a captive and had been tortured. I would do everything I could do to heal him, but anything I could get to help, would be useful.

Simon grabbed my arm and hauled me up, grabbing me by the throat, saying, "You've forgotten your place, woman". As he threw me into Bart's arms, he said, "Don't hurt her too bad, she has to nurse this spy." He turned around and slammed his fist into my stomach, I doubled up in pain and Bart chuckled. Bart laughed and said, "That's nothing", as he pulled me out of the room and into their torture chamber.

When I cringed, he grinned as he pulled out the silver chains, clasping them around my wrists, he smirked and I struggled, attempting to keep him from chaining my legs. As I fought against him, I kicked him in the groin, making him double over.

He growled, "You Bitch, you will regret doing that!", seizing my legs and chaining me to their yoke. As the silver touched my skin, it begin burning and making me sick. He just sneered, as he came closer, loosening him pants, I panicked and struggled harder, despite the burning pain from the silver, and he became angrier. He swung his fists, hitting me on my right cheek, and splitting my lip. He grabbed me by the hips and was about to rape me when ...

An arm, came around Bart's neck, wrenching his head sidewards, with a sickening crunch, his neck was broken, and he slipped down to the floor. Frightened, I looked up and it was him, my mate had saved me from being raped and tortured. Grabbing the chains, he flinched from the pain of the silver against his skin, letting loose of them, he looked around. Reaching into Bart's pockets, he got out the key, tearing off Bart's shirt, he wrapped it around his hands, unlocked the chains.

He pulled me into his arms, "Mate, he whispered, you need to hide, they will use you against me, and I will do whatever they want to save you."

But, I don't ...

"Ssh, listen, I don't have enough energy for both of us, but, I can get you out of here." "Tell them, where I am and how many are here."

"What do You mean?" I started to say, as the room suddenly started whirling around me. I became very dizzy, and when I slumped to the floor, arms grabbed me and I heard panicked voices around me:

"Who is she? How did she get here? Why does she smell of Liam?"

"Liam?" "Is that my mate's name," I thought, as the room continued to spin around me, slowing dissolving and I heard someone say "Catch her, she's falling"!