Four

The next morning was the same. Chad wanted to walk with her, but since he was in eleventh grade, he didn't have to go to school until eleven. Today he was using those hours to get in extra shifts at work to get them more money.

Eve was awake as usual when Julie came down from waking up. Julie woke up pretty early today, five thirty. Julie walked down in my pajama shorts and old hand me down shirt. She sat on the old sofa downstairs watching Pound Puppies. Sbd sneaked up behind the six year old and jumped up and picked up Eve. She swung her around amd the littlr girl shrieked and then giggled.

"Julie!" She giggled. Julie laughed along with her, and kissed the girl's head. Julie sat the girl on her feet. Julie actually felt okay after getting punched yesterday. Sure her face hurt like hell, but inside she felt okay. She felt so glad she had her siblings. Sure she missed Shari who was at college, but she visited and she was grateful for that.

"Okay come on bug, let's go get you breakfast and then get ready." Julie spoke, her mothering mode turning on. She leaned over the couch and grabbed the remote. She shut off the TV as little, bouncy Evey ran towards the kitchen. Eve for a six year old was a really good. She didn't whine much despite the home situation. She never cried about the fact for Christmas wast year she only received a few candy boxes, a shirt and a new doll. She didn't complain, just hugged her siblings and mother and exclaimed about how much she loved her new things.

Julie smiled at the thought as she filled a plastic yellow bowl with the last of the cheerios. Julie poured the milk on top and slid a spoon across the table. And sat the bowl in front of Eve. The little girl dug in and Julie fixed herself toast.

"Eve, what are you doing in school, babe?" Julie asks. Eve shrugged and took a big spoonful of cereal.

"Maybe numbers! Julie!" Eve suddenly exclaimed.

"Quiet baby, mama and Chad are still sleepin'." Julie softly hushed the little girl. Evey smiled and finished chewing her food.

"Sorry. But I can count up to 260 already!" Eve exclaimed softly this time.

"Really? I'm so proud of you baby!" Julie said proudly, smiling brightly at the adorable, happy little girl sitting across from her. Evey blushed and grinned when her older sister said how proud she was.

"Okay baby you done?" Julie asked Eve, whom nodded and got down and put her things in the sink. Julie smiled as she watched Eve's little feet patted against the wood. You could hear the small little pit pat of the child's feet as she ran to her room that she shared with Julie.

Their room was simple. They slept on one queen sized bed that they got from Shari's friend. It had a old sheet with a large, comfy quilt and two pillows. Next to that was a dresser with all their clothes. On top was a few pictures. On other wall was a window and underneath that was a small basket with Eve's toys. Across from the bed was a wall that has a board where a lot pictures and Eve's artwork hangs. That was about it for their room, but it was enough for both girls. They didn't mind sharing.

Eve sat on the bed and talked about her friends as Julie pulled out her outfit, which were Julie's old Capris and a pink shirt that read 'Simply Amazing'. Although Shari didn't have much money either, she baught her siblings clothes here and there. And that was one of them.

The little girl got dressed while Julie got dressed aswell into black leggings amd Shari's hand me down Old Navy shirt. Eve then stood as Julie sat on the bed and ran a brush throw the little girl's fairly long hair. She grabbed two rubber bands and tied her hair into two braids. Once she was doen Evey was sent off to brush her teeth and she would be done getting ready.

Meanwhile Julie brushed her own hair and french braided it. She brushed her teeth. Then she found earrings and put those in. She slid on socks and headed to the kitchen where she met with her brother. He was putting something in the fridge when he looked up.

"Hey jewels. I'm heading off to work at the cafe." He spoke quickly, grabbing his lunch and kissing her head.

"Okay. I'll see you after school?"she asked hopefully.

"Sorry, I'm going to go back to or after that. Before you head to bed." He promised, before hugging her. "Beat up those bullies for me Jewels." He spoke before leaving. That cracked a smile on Julie's face as she took out things to make lunch. They didn't have much so she just make two turkey sandwhiches, one for her and one for Eve. In each bag she put a clementine, a small baggie of potatoe chips and a granola bar. It would be enough. She put one bag in Eve's bag and one in hers. She saw that it was only 6:45 which meant she had about an hour and forty minutes before she would leave to walk to school. She liked having all this extra time. So she grabbed a piece of paper and wrote a note for Evey. She wrote 'Love You, Evey,' and drew a quick cute picture of her and Evey. She stuck that in the paper lunch bag and zipped up her bag. Suddenly she realized they still had a few pieces of caramel from a little candy gift box from Shari who visited a few weeks ago. She put that in there too and left her bag.

Julie checked on her mom who was still asleep. She made sure the arm was still set. She made up boxed oatmeal and a mug of apple cinnamon tea. She left that in the microwave. She wrote on a sticky note to make sure her mom would notice and would only have to heat that up for breakfast.

Finally after running around, Julie relaxed next to her favorite little girl in the world. She layed Eve's head on her lap and rubbed her arm. The two close sisters loved moments like this. Where the two were together and for a little while the world seemed to stop. Their minds finally relaxed and everything seemed to be okay.