Five

When it was the sad time to go to school, the older girl sat up and kissed her little sister. Her mother had already gotten up and ate her breakfast. She was getting ready, and Julie had to admit her mom was doing extremely well lately. Maybe things would start to look up.

"Be good for mama, E." Julie said softly before hugging the little girl and getting her backpack on. Eve smiled and nodded. Of course she would. Eve sometimes cried and whined like most five year olds, but that was normal. She was always a good kid.

"Will you make sk-etti for dinner?" Evey asked innocently. The way she pronounced spaghetti made Julie laugh lightly. She didn't know if she had room in her shopping budget to make the girl's favorite dish, but maybe she could make it another night.

"Not today, bug. But we are having your other favorite!" Julie exclaimed, hoping to make the little girl think brightly.

"What!" Evey asked excitedly, her frown a few seconds ago left her face and was switched with a smile.

"Mac n cheese! And I'm making the buttered rolls with them and if you want I can heat up the last of those hotdogs in there." Julie offered. Evey nodded very happily. She stood up and jumped into Julie's arms. She wrapped her small arms around her neck and her feet wrapped around the girls waist. Julie placed her hands around Evey's back and smiled. Evey kissed her sister's cheek and hopped down.

"Have a good day at school, baby." Julie said softly, walking away slowly. Evey nodded and blew a kiss. How was this girl not to melt for?

"La you!" Evey shouted, the word 'love' coming out in a very child like and adorable way. Julie smiled st her once more before blowing her a kiss back and walked upstairs. She made sure she had everything before leaving the house.

The walk was empty and quiet. Julie always made sure to leave early so no other kids were there. She counted her steps and once she got bored with that she hummed songs softly to herself. Sure she knew everyone would state at the now VERY obvious punch mark, she didn't care. Julie was happy with her family for a little while and that would keep her smiling for a little bit longer.

The girl entered the school and headed up to her locker. She grabbed the books she needed and carried everything to her first class. Usually no one had their doors open because it was fairly early, but this time the door to her first hour, art, was open. Julie looked in, tightly clutching her books. The female teacher looked up and spotted the shorter girl with books standing there nervously. She knew Julie was in her classes, and also knew she didn't speak much. For presentations she spoke very quietly amd shyly. She knew Julie also had something else going on in her young life of the she would drive home after school and see the girl walking head down to a fairly run down house only a block from her own. She often saw Julie wear the same clothing multiple times in one week. The woman spotted the big bruise on Julie's eyes and held in her anger for whoever hit her. Instead she smiled warmly.

"Hi, Julie. You can come in if you want." She spoke softly, inviting Julie into the quiet classroom. Julie nodded quickly and shyly and walked into the classroom. She gave her teacher an awkward smile and kept her head down as she walked to her desk and organized her things.

"Good morning, you're here bright and early." The teacher said, smiling and the girl, hoping to spark a conversation. She had few conversations with Julie over the past two months.

"Oh, Um yeah. I like to be prepared and ready I guess." Julie replied slowly, writing in her school provided planner.

"I understand that. If you want you could get started on your project, and maybe get further along." The teacher spoke. Julie nodded and thought about it. Maybe it would be nice to get further along.

"Yeah I will, thanks you Mrs.Carry." Julie sai before standing up and walking over to the art projects.

She took her drawing that was quite beautiful and sat down with her supplies. Julie tapped her pencil for a minute before continuing to work. Mrs.Carry got up and walked over to see her work. Julie could feel the pair of eyes watching her as she drew.

"That looks amazing Julie." The woman commented with an impressed smile. Julie smiled back.

"Thanks." She spoke, finding it easier somehow to talk to her art teacher.

"Julie, can you explain to me whay your art is expressing?" She asks suddenly, looking st the artwork with intrest. That was one of the things the students had to show in their art work. And that was a meaning. Every student had to show a meaning and she knew Julie would do well with that. Julie bit her lip before talking.

"Well, when the project first started I immediately thought of the phrase 'don't bottle uo your feelings'. And I felt like that was really important to show. People have to know vulnerability is okay. You can feel vulnerable. So I drew a bottle and drew small slips of paper. I added small details of rips and dirt on there paper to really show that emotion. Anger amd the sadness leaving marks on yourself. The top of the bottle is open and the paper are coming out. When they reach the sky they slowly shift into birds. I've always seen birds as freedom and peace. And once people let their emotions out and finally let their souls feel pain and allow themselves to cry and be mad and you know feel whatever, you can finally be at peace with yourself. You realize that you have to let go of it and let your vulnerability show. Because then you realize what emotions do. They're meant to be shown. No one can be strong for forever. Sometimes showing her weaknesses is apart of being strong."

Julie explained her laying and sighed, taking a deep breath. Mrs.Carry was stunned by the thought and careful and deep, but clear meaning in her artwork. She had to take a deep breath before nodding.

"Wow. Just wow." Was all she said. The comment made Julie blush. "Julie, that's incredible. Can you share this with the class?" She asked. Julie shook her head immediately.

"I c-can't. I get nervous." She said quickly.

"I know, Julie. But I really believe your art work would inspire the class." Mrs.Carry spoke. Julie sighed.

"Maybe another time." Julie said quietly. Mrs.Carry nodded, not wanting to push her anymore.

"That's quite alright. And I'm very excited to see what your finished product will be. Keep creating." Mrs.Carry said before walking to her desk and sitting down. Julie liked up for a second before continuing to shade a bird.

She felt really proud of herself and would've loved to share her artwork, but that was taking a chance on getting bullied for it. Julie and already delt with enough.

She heard more voices in the hallway as she started on drawing another bird, hoping today wouldn't be too bad.