Chapter 8: Mind Control

Looney POV

We watched as Tom held the phone to his ear, waiting for someone at the police station to pick up. We could tell the moment someone did as Tom straightened before speaking.

"Uh, th-there's an alien invasion at our rental house. Knee-high beings. Very violent." He stammered. I blinked at him incredulously, was he seriously telling a police officer there were actual aliens. Why would— my train of thought was derailed as Tom heard a reply from whoever was on the phone before continuing.

I moved closer, trying to listen to what the person on the other end was saying and was bewildered as the word "hobbit" came up. Was the officer seriously considering this? I mean it's good if they are but Tom sounds crazy.

"No. Real. Look, I know this sounds crazy, but you gotta understand—" I started shaking my head at Tom, trying to get him to stop. Tom listened as the officer on the phone started speaking. The voice on the other end cut off and Tom blinked in surprise.

"Hello?" He asked. Pulling the phone from his ear and looking at it in confusion.

"What, did he hang up on you? Who was it? Why were you telling them about the aliens why didn't you say something like 'Theres something in our attic, we don't know what it is but we're kind of scared.' Or something??" I asked, rambling on in a mixture of anxiety and annoyance. Jake places a calming hand on my shoulder and I quieted. Tom, after failing to get a response from the other end, set the phone down and turned to the rest of us.

"We gotta tell our parents." Tom decided then. I let out another sigh, about to protest before we heard a thud. I jumped and whirled to face the window, feeling Jake's hand move to my arm as we stared in fear.

There was more thumping and I started looking around for a weapon, I found nothing but a football. I shrugged and picked it up, holding it at the ready. Jake gave me a weird look even though I could see his breathing pick up at the ominous thumping.

"What? I figure if it's an alien then I can hurl this at it and send it flying." I could see that Jake wanted to laugh but one of the twins then spoke.

"And if you miss?" I let myself contemplate the idea before shrugging again.

"Then we're either screwed or one of those little leprechauns is becoming a soccer ball." I murmured. Jake slowly walked towards the window as the rest of us huddled closer.

"Please don't be an alien, please don't be an alien. Be anything else. I'll even take Bethany at this point." I prayed and pleaded, still holding the football. We started after Jake, a foot or two behind him as we approached the window. Jake slowly reached towards the curtains and ripped them open, revealing, ugh, Ricky. Hannah let out a scream as the rest of us jumped back a little.

"Damn, I forgot about him." I hissed. We watched the upside down creeper as he swung from side to side. Jake opened the window and as soon as he was a little out of the way I threw the football full force at Ricky. It nailed him right in the face and I did a little fist pump. Jake jumped in surprise before turning to me.

"What the hell, Luna?!" He cried.

"What? I thought he moved. And either way, it's payback." I answered, pointing to my swollen eye.

"I thought you couldn't see." Tom snarked, I just gave another shrug. Tom just shook his head in amusement before we all turned back to Ricky. He had a creepy smile on his face and a red spot on his cheek from where the football had hit him.

"Think he's still an alien zombie?" Tom asked as we all finally stood in front of the window by Jake.

"I could hit him again." I offered, though I didn't move any closer. I didn't want him to pull me out the window if he was still active.