Chapter 14

Slowly my eyes open only to be met with bright lights. I blink hoping that the lights would dim down or my eyes would adjust but neither happen. "Am I dead?" I think to myself. I slowly try sitting up and cry out in pain. I look down at the source of the pain to see that the spot where the knife was is now covered and clean. I continue to try to sit up but slower and more carefully this time. Pain still fills the area and I notice a reddish pink color starting to fill the once white bandage. I look around noticing that the room I'm in is pretty bare of anything. All it has is a twin bed that I am laying on and a chair that is pulled up right next to the bed. I try moving off of the bed and manage to get to the edge and stand up but with shaky legs supporting me. I try making my way to the door slowly and carefully leaning against the wall as I make my way there. I reach for the door handle hoping that it's unlocked and when I try to turn it, it opens. I look out into the hallway noticing that I'm not in Eric's house or at least any parts that I have seen before.

I take a few steps into the hallway but lose my balance from my shaking legs and end up on the ground clutching the stab wound with one hand and holding myself up with the other.

"Hello?" I call out hoping that someone could hear me but my voice just disappears into the silence that already filled the room.

Suddenly I hear footsteps heading this way and sigh in relief. The steps seem rushed like they are in a hurry but they are heading right toward me. When I finally see who the steps belong to my body tenses up.

"E-Er-"

"Edlynn, what are you doing out of bed? Oh, my you are bleeding again." I get cut off as the figure before me starts to worry and help me up to my feet. "Edlynn, I'm so sorry I didn't mean for that to happen." He says as he pulls me to his chest wrapping his arm tightly around me but not too tight to hurt.

"E-Eric, what h-happened?" I say with a shaky voice as I hide my face in his chest. I wince as the pain starts getting worst on my side. Eric pulls away from me looking down seeing the blood beginning to seep through the bandage.

"I'll explain later, okay princess? Right now I need to re-bandage your wound." He says softly running his hand carefully through my hair. He picks me up like you would a two or three you old on your hip. I wrap my legs around his waist and my arms around his neck as I lay my head on my shoulder. I was so small compared to him that I don't even think it's difficult for him to carry me.

"Thank you," I whisper as I close my eyes and smell in the soft scent of cologne. I'm not scared of him right now. He's the one who just saved my life.

We reach the room that I woke up in and he lays me back down on the small bed. He walks over to a different door on the other side of the room that I didn't notice before. He opens it and disappears behind the door. He comes back with supplies to bandage the wound on my side.

He comes over and sits on the edge of the bed and carefully pulls the old bandage off. He cleans it with a cloth before putting the new one on. Once he's done he puts all the supplies back and comes back into the room and sits in the chair that's next to the bed.

"Thank you," I whisper looking at him with a small smile. I feel like I look like a mess but ignore it for right now. "Eric, now can you tell me what happened?"

He nods his head. "One of the men I had over for a business meeting hurt you and stabbed you with a knife. I took care of him. I brought you to my lake house to protect you from anyone. Edlynn I don't want anyone else to hurt you." He says sounding sincere but I look at him skeptically.

"Why are you being n-nice to me?" I ask looking down at my lap scared of angering him. I hear a sigh escape his lips as he thinks of a way to respond.