II

The next morning Hermione met up with Mr.Shacklebolt in his office to discuss her new job.

"So, you do get your own office– so here's the keys to that." He huffed out, handing her the golden key. Hermione grabbed the keys and replied with a nod. "It's on the third floor. I ordered Fredrick to put your name-plate on the door." He continued. He scratched his nose and raised his eyebrows. "Other than that, I honestly have nothing to talk to you about." He said. Hermione eyed him and bit the inside of her cheek awkwardly.

"Well, erm, thank you sir." She said gently. She got up from the leather chair and headed toward the exit before Shacklebolt spoke again.

"You'll need to go see Ms.Parkinson." He said with a wave. Hermione sent a nod in his direction and left the office. After she closed the door she let a deep breath out. She looked at the key in her hand and the design engraved in it. She pocketed the key in her suit pocket and made her way to Pansy. Up the hallway, take the small flight of stairs, and take a left turn. The third office on the left was Pansy's. Hermione knocked her first against the door gently and waited. Pansy opened the door and eyed Hermione.

"I see you spoke to Shacklebolt." She said, inviting Hermione in with the inward wave of her hand. Hermione stepped into the small office and looked around. She'd been in the room once because Pansy had been her 'Secret Santa' and Pansy invited her in.

"Yes. Thank you, by the way." Hermione said, now facing Pansy.

"For?"

"Suggesting me for the job. It means a lot to me." Hermione said with a genuine smile. Pansy returned the smile.

"How'd you know?" She asked, sitting down at her dark, wooden desk. Hermione sat in the chair in front of hers.

"It was too obvious. It's your department and you're the only person who acknowledges me." Hermione explained, watching Pansy's eyes twinkle. "Also," Hermione looked down at her feet. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I know you're just trying help."

"It's alright. By the way, I have scoped out some reasonably priced apartments. Not only because I'm trying to help you, but I think it's best if you live alone with this job." Pansy said before plopping a yellow notepad on the top of her desk. Hermione was taken by surprise. "They're all listed and there's the phone number and address. Now, they aren't amazing, but they'll do."

"Pansy, this– I'm flabbergasted. This is amazing. I– thank you! I really can't thank you enough." Hermione exclaimed. Pansy smiled at Hermione's excitement.

"I'm glad you're happy." She smiled. "Oh and I would suggest this one." She added before pointing her long finger at the third address on the list. "It's probably the most homey."
Hermione nodded and circled the address with Pansy's quill after asking to borrow it.

△⃒⃘

A week later, Hermione walked into a tall building and glanced around her surroundings quickly. The carpet was red and the walls were supposed to be beige, although they looked aged. There was a flight of steep stairs to her left; beside the stairs, she saw an older man with brown/red hair, using his wand to trace circles into the air.

"Erm, hello?" She coughed to get his attention as she inched closer. The man looked up with his brown eyes.

"Oh. You're here." He said in a monotone voice. "Finally." He said under his breath. Hermione checked her watch, seeing she was two minutes late.

"Yes, sorry." She said with a nod. She certainly didn't mean her apology, but it was easier to agree than disagree. She held her hands together in front of her as they stood in silence. She watched as the man stood, almost looking completely clueless or careless. "The apartment..?" Hermione hinted, motioning her hand toward the large flight of stairs.