IV

Hermione took a deep breath of the fresh air before stepping toward the door for the tenth time. She closed her eyes shut and pressed her soft finger against the button beside the door. She heard a dark-sounding bell go on throughout the house that sent chills down her spine. Suddenly the air she breathed was cold with fear. Hermione waited silently and fearfully.
When the door opened, it was Narcissa Malfoy with a judging look.

"What?" Draco's mother hissed. Hermione stood, baffled that a Malfoy had actually opened the door to her, not to mention the door of their own Manor. Hermione shook out of her trance.

"Yes! Erm, Hello Mrs.Malfoy. I'm here to see Mr.Malfoy."

Narcissa's eyes went darker and looked as though they could set Hermione to fire in an instant.

"There's no reason in which a– muggle-born should be visiting my husband." She said.

"But I'm–"

She slammed the door shut and left Hermione in disarray. She sighed and turned her back upon the home. She'd have to get into the manor somehow.

She apparated back to the apartment building, where she climbed the three flights of stairs, opened her door to the apartment, and then threw herself onto the couch. Her hands fell onto her face.

"What am I going to do?" She questioned the air. Suddenly a pop! was heard and Hermione sat up to see Pansy Parkinson standing in her apartment, face blood red.

"You didn't visit Lucius." She slapped her lips together at the end of her sentence.

"I know– Narcissa wouldn't let me–"

"Did you tell her you were his caseworker?"

Hermione threw her hands into the air. "I tried! She wouldn't listen!"

"I don't care. Make her listen, Hermione. This is your job!" Get it done or else he goes to jail. Then your neighbor over there," Pansy pointed at Hermione's wall, but Hermione knew who she meant. "isn't going to be too happy with you." She finished. Hermione stayed silent as Pansy dusted off her pencil skirt. She looked at Hermione again with a softer look in her eyes. Hermione hated the look of pity.
"Some friends of mine are coming over to my home tonight for some drinks, would you like to come?" She asked. Hermione sighed and shook her head.

"I'd like to, but I should figure out how I'm going to—"

"Please, Hermione." She said. They stared for a moment before Hermione agreed. "Great! Be there at 7:30, sound good?"
Hermione nodded and Pansy gave her a big grin. They exchanged goodbyes and Pansy diapparated.

Hermione looked at the large home in awe. It was a beautiful navy blue, two stories, with champagne colored shutters.
She walked to the dark brown door, and knocked her knuckles against it lightly. She heard a giggle and then a pop from inside.

"Hold on!" A man yelled before opening the door. Hermione looked up from the ground and met two unfamiliarly light pair of eyes.

"Malfoy" Hermione breathed out.

"Er, Granger." He said after his smile had disappeared upon her appearance. "What're you—"

"Hermione! Come in!" Pansy said enthusiastically. "We've got some great drinks! My fiancé is so good at making them!" She giggled before dragging Hermione by the hand. Hermione stumbled along and found herself in the kitchen with a few people she remembered and others she'd never seen.