III

Hermione woke up the next morning with a terrible headache. She checked her clock– which showed that she was already five minutes late to work.

"Shit." She groaned and jumped out of bed. She quickly undressed while looking for different clothes to wear. Once she got dressed in her grey pencil skirt and black button up shirt, she threw her hair into a low ponytail. She ran to the door, slipping her feet into her inch heels and grabbing her coat. She opened the door while still struggling to put on the coat.
She heard a soothing voice.

"Rough morning, I'm guessing?"

Hermione looked up to find Draco Malfoy in a brown leather jacket, sipping what looked to be a steaming coffee. He stood at his door, one leg crossed over the other, leaning against the closed door to his apartment. She groaned internally and decided to nod.

"I'm late, so I don't have time to– er, catch up." Hermione said, starting to walk down the stairs.

"That's fine. Did you remember your wand?" Draco asked smoothly. Hermione froze on the fifth step and turned around. She cursed herself and started running toward her apartment. She unlocked the door and ran inside, running through the kitchen and living area. She entered her room and grabbed the wand that sat on her nightstand.

She walked out of the apartment, locking the door once again. She stopped to look at Malfoy.

"How—?"

"Now you can just apparate there, Granger." He said before taking a sip of his coffee, his eyes turned to the carpet. Hermione gaped at him. How could she have been such an idiot!
She nodded awkwardly and tried to get her breathing in control. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. What was she doing? When she heard a plop! her eyes flew open to Draco. He sipped his own coffee, but held out another in his left hand. Hermione eyed the cup, and then Draco.
"Yes, it's for you– and no it's not poisoned." He said calmly. Hermione stared at him as she grasped her fingers around the cup.

"T-Thank you." She mumbled and took a sip. She almost melted on the spot. "This is absolutely amazing!" She exclaimed. "Merlin, where's this from?"

"My kitchen." He smirked. Hermione automatically regretted praising the coffee. He made it; now his ego was even larger. Great.

"Oh. Well, it's good. " she said. "Well I better get going." She said before apparating to the Ministry's doors. She pushed through and walked to her office. She unlocked the door after finding it. She gasped and dropped her coffee when she spotted Pansy sitting, legs crossed, on top of her desk.

"Dammit." Hermione murmured as she looked down at the coffee on the floor. "That was really good coffee." She said so Pansy could hear.

"I've had it. Draco's right?" She asked. Hermione nodded and then froze.

"Wait– how–?"

"I thought you'd want an old friend."

Hermione scoffed. "Friend?"

"He made you coffee, didn't he?" Pansy smirked. Hermione's eyebrows met and she swallowed hard.

"That doesn't mean anything."

"Just give him a chance, Hermione. He really is a good guy." Pansy said, hopping off of the desk while Hermione bent down to pick up her emptied cup.

"You did it in purpose, didn't you?" Hermione asked after throwing the cup into the small trash bin. "You knew he lived there!"