Searching for answers

Ash's pov

The Eagles approach a massive rock structure shaped like a bear. The Eagle carrying Thorin gently deposits him and his sword on a flat area on top of the bear shaped rock. Another Eagle lands on the rock and Gandalf slides off its neck, running toward the unconscious Thorin. As mine lands I jump off and watch in worry.. he isn't breathing...

"Thorin! Thorin." The worried old wizard yelled. Thorin is not responding, making my worried grow. I slowly walk closer as Bilbo runs up past me. Gandalf places his hand on Thorin's face and whispers something I can't hear, nor understand. I crouch down to look at Thorin only to see his eyes flutter open and he gasps for air. He speaks weakly. "The halfling?" He asked. So he has changed..

"It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe." Gandalf assures him with a weak smile. By now, the other dwarves have all been landed on the bear shaped rick, and they surround the wounded Thorin. Dwalin and Kili help Thorin up. However, once he's up, he shrugs them off and approaches Bilbo. Oh god.. I prepare myself to stop him from losing it on the poor halfling. "You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" Thorin tells as he advances until he is face to face with Bilbo, who looks worried and frightened. There is a moment of silence. Bilbo is to afraid to speak.

"Thorin-" I began but he cut me off by saying, "I've never been so wrong in all my life!". Thorin then grabs Bilbo and embraces him deeply. The other dwarves cheer loudly and slap each other on the back. I stare in surprise as Gandalf smiles. Bilbo, looking quite surprised, hugs Thorin back.

"I am sorry I doubted you." Thorin apologised. "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar." Bilbo replied jokingly. The surprised look melts into a tired smile. As everyone chuckles, the Eagles fly away, screeching. Thorin looks beyond Bilbo and sees something; he strides forward, and the others follow his gaze. I glance in the direction to see a mountain in the distance.. it looks magnificent.

"Is that what I think it is?" Bilbo asked. "Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle­earth." Gandalf said. "Our home." Thorin muttered. A bird cheeps and flies by, actually catching me off guard and making me jump a bit, causing a few dwarves to laugh.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." Oin yelled happily. More birdsong is heard, easing everyone's worried. "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." Gandalf explained. "But we'll take it as a sign ­a good omen." Thorin said hopefully. I nodded and smiled, my throat hurt to much to speak. I picked my bow and arrows up off the ground and strapped my quiver back into me. I then pulled the collar of my clothes over my neck to somewhat protect the bruise. "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." Bilbo said. "I hope you are right, master baggins.." I said to him. We stared on at the Lonely Mountain as the sun comes up behind us.

A few days later {I have no idea how long after this takes place. I am just guessing, please correct me if I'm wrong}

I watch as Bilbo peeks over some rocks on a high ledge. I rub my neck slightly, wincing as I do. "Did those herbs I have ya help at all las?" Oin asked me. I nodded and smiled. "Yes. Thank you, it just hurts because it's near my spine. I'll be ok my friend" I told him. He nodded and then suddenly glanced in a different direction. I did the same and saw bilbo. I smiled.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked him. "Too close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it." Bilbo replied, panting for breath. "Have the Wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin asked with slight nerve in his voice. "Not yet, but they will; we have another problem." Bilbo said. "Did they see you? They saw you!" Gandalf asks frantically. "No, that's not it." Bilbo replied. Gandalf smiles and turns to the dwarves. "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." He says. In response The dwarves chuckle loudly in appreciation of Bilbo. Bilbo looks exasperated that no one is hearing him out.