The sleeping beast

Bilbo's pov

I laugh with relief and delight and point at the wall. "The last light!" I yell. I see ash shoot up onto her feet near me, almost falling upo the side of the mountain and she gets up quickly.

The moonlight illuminates a keyhole in the rock, and we gasp in surprise, i then yells for the dwarves. I peers over the edge of the clearing at the stairs, but sees no sign of the dwarves. I yell down, hoping they can hear me, "The keyhole! Come back! Come back! It's the light of the moon, the last moon of autumn! Ha ha ha!". Suddenly I Remembered the key. I looked at ash making her remember aswell. We search the floor. I mutter "Where's the- Where's the key? Where's the- it was here...but it was here, it was here! It was just..." to myself as it has suddenly disappeared and I become frantic.

suddenly, ash screams at me, I look down and see the key sliding across the ground and about to fall off the cliff. Just before it falls off the side of the mountain, a boot steps on the string and stops it. It is Thorin. I sighs in relief and ash gets some colour back into her face. Thorin slowly reaches down and picks up the key, then examines it. The other dwarves step up beside him. They all smile in relief at Us.

Thorin inserts the key into the keyhole and turns it; mechanisms are heard turning behind the rock. Thorin pushes the wall, and a previously unseen door opens into the mountain. The seams of the door were completely invisible earlier. The door opens into a tunnel going into the mountain. The dwarves look on it awe as Thorin stands on the threshold. I see ash staring into it with a sort of childish wonder.

"Erebor..." thorin mutters in joyful amazement. "Thorin..." balin begins but he chokes up. Thorin puts a hand on his shoulder, and then steps into the mountain."I know these walls...these halls, this stone. You remember it, Balin. Chambers filled with golden light." Thorin sags. As he says this, Thorin runs his hands over the walls, lost in memory. Balin steps into the tunnel. "I remember." He replies. The rest of the Company slowly and reverently enters the mountain. Inside, Nori points at a carving in the wall above the door; it is of the throne of Erebor, with the Arkenstone above it, sending out rays of light in all directions. Gloin reads aloud the inscription on the carving. "Herein lies the seventh kingdom of Durin's Folk. May the heart of the mountain unite all dwarves in defense of this home."

I look at the carving in interest and curiosity. Balin explains it to me "The throne of the king.". "Oh. And what's that above it?" I asked. "The Arkenstone." He tells me. "Arkenstone...And what's that?" I ask. Ash makes a curious hum, telling us she was also curious of this 'arkenstone'. "That, Master Burglar & royal thief, is why you are here." Thorin told us. All the dwarves suddenly looked towards me and ash, I assume I look bewildered. But I make myself look determined instead.

Ash's POV

Balin guides us into a tunnel leading to the interior of the mountain. "You want us to find a jewel?" Bilbo asks. "A large white jewel, yes." Balin replied. "That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there." Bilbo comments. I nod in agreement. "There is only one Arkenstone. You'll know it when you see it." Balin tells us. "Alright." I reply. Balin begins to walk back down the tunnel, but then pauses. "In truth, lad, las, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to, there's no dishonor in turning back." He tells us. I stay silent. I promised nothing, so I said nothing.

"No, Balin, I promised I would do this, and I think I must try." Bilbo said. I smile. Balin begins to chuckle appreciatively. "It never ceases to amaze me." Balin said. "What's that?" Bilbo asks with a slight smile. "The courage of Hobbits. Go now with as much luck as you can muster." Balin tells him. We nod at each other, and Bilbo proceeds down the tunnel while Balin turns back. I almost follow balin but I settle on my hairy footed friend.