Chapter 23: Every Rose Has Its Thorn

With my eyes squeezed shut, I feel a gentle hand tug at my wrists to try and uncover them from my ears but I flinch away. A wave of sickness rushes over me again. "Please, don't touch me," I say quietly and don't look at him as I stand on wobbly legs and get into my parked car. 

I sit at the wheel but don't make an effort to start the car until Damian's sitting beside me in the passenger. I take my bottom lip between my teeth to keep my chin from trembling. I blow out a puff of air and sneak a glance at him. My eyes are immediately drawn to the dark substance smeared on the side of his cheek. 

"God," I hiss and wet a tissue and lean over to his face and grab it a little aggressively to wipe off the blood. Damian's caught a little off guard and intensely watches my face; reading my every move.

After that eventful lunch, which wasn't really lunch at all, I decide to blow off the rest of my classes and walk around downtown with Death for the afternoon. I wanted to push past whatever it was that happened at the bar. I didn't want to stick around, and I wanted to forget those horrible noises. Burying things is what I'm good at, so that's exactly what I'll do. 

We spend the day in and out of shops just admiring things in silence. I pick up news flyers in search of job applications. I needed to get back to work, or else I was more than likely going to be homeless within a few months. 

I sip my cup of tea and point to the paper. "There's a flower shop looking for help. They need someone to help with sales and cleaning up. It's three days a week from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, so eight hours." I say thoughtfully and purse my lips.

Damian tips his black coffee towards his lips and nods. "Sounds promising." He says while leaning over the table to get a look. I keep my eyes glued to the paper. 

"It's only 13 dollars an hour though. That won't exactly be enough to cover rent. Maybe I should get another roommate." I suggest and lean back in my chair. The cool summer breeze feels nice against my skin.

"Another?" He asks and entwines slim pale fingers together. "What happened to the last?"

I snort. "Oh boy, let me tell you. She was totally creepy. Completely obsessed with the Devil- well, I mean you." I let out a laugh, oh the irony. He lifts the side of his mouth into a sort of smile, exposing a glimpse of pearly teeth.

"I caught her trying to use Lucy as a sacrifice and I completely snapped. I think I literally threw her ass out, I can't exactly remember what happened." I take another sip of my tea. "This time I gotta make sure my next roommate likes cats and doesn't sacrifice animals." I shake my head.

A deep rumble of a laugh comes from Damian's chest and my stomach twists with butterflies. For an unknown reason, a blush spreads across my cheeks. Maybe it's because you made him laugh -Shut it, you. 

"How many poor animals have been sacrificed to me, and then finding out I don't even like animals?" Damian asks, feigning thoughtfulness.

I bury my head in my hands. "Oh no! That's so horrible." I begin laughing, forgetting about everything else that's happened. 

I couldn't remember how long it's been since I laughed that hard in ages.